11Lb 11oz baby born posterior in a hospital...vaginally and without pain meds.

I just wanted to share my story because so many people think that a story like mine can't happen in a hospital.

I will state outright, however, that if I did not have a midwife and doula that I would have been sectioned. I went into labor at about 2 PM on a Sunday. I called my doula and she came to my house to labor with me until it was time to go to the hospital. My midwife came to check me at about 9PM and said to wait a few more hours until we left. At about 2 AM we left for the hospital.

I started in my birthing room by about 4 AM and waited for the water to get ready, but needed to wait a while because there were some hot water issues in the hospital that day. Once I got in the water, I progressed slowly, but by around 2 PM, I was fully dilated. The baby's head was not down very far, so we decided to break my water. After that, I started to push. I pushed for about 2 and 1/2 hours, and I remember thinking that I must be doing something wrong because the head kept going back in and I sensed the frustration in the room.

At about that time, my midwife told me that the new doctor on rounds was coming in to see how I was progressing because I had been pushing for a while. She didn't have to tell me that how I pushed when the doctor was in the room was crucial. I just had to read the tone in her voice. When the doctor came in the room, I pushed like my life depended on it. Instead of the usual 3 pushes, I did 5 in a row as long as I could for each. I guess the doctor was impressed, so she said I could keep pushing. She did want me to be put on a small dose of pitocin to bring the contractions closer together.

The worst part about the pitocin was that I was told to stop pushing until the pitocin had fully kicked in. That time was, without a doubt, the worst and most painful part of the whole labor. I knew that my midwife was constrained by the hospital and doctor at that point. I remember that at one point, I turned to my doula while the nurse, doctor and midwife were out of the room and wimpered that it hurt to not push. She turned back to me and said, "At some point, you just need to tell everyone here that you are f'ing pushing this baby out right now whether they like it or not." I did eaxactly that, and was allowed to start pushing immediately. By 7:41, my baby boy was born. He was 11Lbs 11 oz., and he was posterior. Nobody had any idea that he was going to be that big or that he was facing up. With all of those odds stacked against me, I'm certain that I would have had a C section if under the "care" of a doctor. I am so grateful that I had a midwife and a doula and was able to do this naturally and without drugs, even in a hospital setting.

Views: 117

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good for you! I'm glad to hear you are so happy with your experience. Next time, refuse the pit though. You don't HAVE to do anything. Even if the doctor says you should. You did a great job!
Wow. That's all I can say.
Congrats to you and blessings to your family!
What a great birth story! Congratulations!
Awesome! And what a great testimonial for having a doula and for doing what your body knows how to do. You rock!
omg you are an amazing woman!!! 11lbs 11oz! OMG! congratulations on your bundle of joy. xo
What a great story! I can relate to being put on that small amount of Pit and being told not to push.....that was the worst part of the labor by far! That's awesome that your midwife came to your house and checked you before you went to the hospital....I've never heard of a hospital-based midwife doing that. Congratulations!



Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.


© 2016   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service