Placentas are my thing!  I am totally fascinated with them. I'd love to hear from anyone and everyone on how to build a healthy placenta, what happened when you birthed your placenta, what did you do with your placenta after you birthed it, have you heard of any placenta recipes? Know anything crazy about the placenta? Am I the only crazy one who takes pictures of mine? Ever had a Lotus birth?  What was it like?  Please post pictures of your placentas!!! I love them!!!

The Placenta below is my last one at 42 weeks old

Tags: Placenta

Views: 3850

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wanted to do this with my next one. I also wanted to get certified to do it. I would love to hear from more women that have taken it or even capsule it.
I just want to add... the placenta is such a rare gift (I mean, how many do you get in your lifetime, right?), that NOT using it in some way seems like such a waste. I learned that at the end of pregnancy, the placenta is pumping out about 4 times more hormones than your usual baseline. So, at some point in your pregnancy your brain shuts it's own hormone production off, letting the placenta take over. Birth Day comes, and out goes the placenta...and all those hormones. It takes your brain about 2-3 weeks to 'wake up' and begin hormone production again. That's why some new mom's may feel 'blue'--your hormone level is WAY below baseline during those weeks. Encapsulating your placenta and taking it right after birth keeps your hormones level!

yogamama777 said:
I'm at 37 weeks and plan to encapsulate my placenta. A lot of home birth moms in my community swear by their 'happy pills', saying that taking their placenta capsules help them have more energy, increase milk flow for breastfeeding, and keep away any 'blues'. For more information about this you can visit PlacentaBenefits.info.

I can't say I've done anything to specifically build my placenta. Nothing other than plain 'ol good nutrition! This is my first baby, but I definitely plan on taking a close look at the placenta when we're all done. Jodi, who is coming over to prepare the placenta capsules (BTW you can hire someone to do this or order a do-it-yourself encapsulation kit) told me that the 'baby side' of the placenta looks like an amazing root system--she called it 'the roots of life'. I like that.
Good point Yogamama,
I just wanted to express that one of the things I love about home birth is how wonderfully midwives honor the placenta. As a doula I have noticed in hospital births the placenta is not respected for the awesome organ that it is. There are so many functions of this amazing organ, it nurtures the baby, filters out toxins and links mother to child. Above all I made that thing!!! It is healthy and functional because of me! After a birth I always like to check it out see both the maternal and fetal side, note the color and shape, it's thickness. All of these things are effected by the diet and exercise and environment. What a compliment it would be for an OB to say what a fantastic placenta you have built! But most times I notice they just put it in a bowl for a quick look and toss it in a bag. I have worked with two midwives and both took special note of my placenta. The first commented "Your bag of waters was made of steel" the second "Wow! a 42 week placenta has never looked so good".
The hormones drop off about the third day, that is when they are the lowest. I will look up the other thing about the hormone production I remember reading something about it.
Another thing I did to build my placenta was take Fluoridex an iron and B supplament.
And now ladies, It's time for another PLACENTA BUILDING RECIPE:
I love this green juice and use it all the time
1 green apple
3 Broccili stems
1 handful sprouts
1 cucumber
3 kale leaves
zip it through I love it love it love it!!!
What I did with my four placentas, by applejuice

Each of my placentas were buried in the ground and a rosebush was planted over each of them. My DD's placenta was given a Helen Traubel rose bush, my DS1 had a Harry and Perkins 1983 patented bush, my DS2 had a Jack Frost, and my youngest DS has a Mr. Lincoln rose bush over his placenta.

When my DS2 was in high school, he used the white roses to take to his girl friend.

Those placentas just keep giving.
Do you have any pictures of the rosebushes you could post? I'd love to see them!
Hi Amber,
Thanks for the comment. That was quite a vitamin regimen I was on. Let's see if I can remember...Cal/Mag (liquid form), juice plus, garlic, Vitamin C (1000 mg/day), Complete Omegas, Floradix (Iron), probiotics. And toward the end I added dandelion and nettles tincture for swelling. There is the picture of my placenta on the video and I'm not sure if there are more. I'll have to check with my friend. My placenta is still in my freezer. Not sure what I'll do with it? My midwives made a placenta print that is beautiful. They did it with pink ink and the cord coming down in the shape of a heart, along with her baby foot prints next to it! No, you are not the only one obsessed with placentas, I know many women with freezers full of them!
can you post a picture of the Placenta print? I'd love to see it that sounds amazing!
I am a mother of 4 wonderful children (2 girls, 18 &17) and (2 boys, 15 & 11). My first was born at home with a midwife, my second in a birthing center with a midwife. My third and fourth were born in a hospital due to complications. Both of the placentas from my daughters births were frozen for a couple of weeks and then we went to a nursery and bought Olive Trees and planted them in the front yard and used the thawed placentas to nourish them. They are now very large, well developed beautiful trees but not as beautiful as my babies are. I am praying to get pregnant one last time and give my new husband his first child. Everyone pray for us to successfully get pregnant and to have a full term healthy normal baby. (preferably a baby girl). LOL. God Bless all efforts and research put into this site. I love it.

I absolutely took a picture of my placenta! Well, the second one anyway (my VBAC.) I was so insistent on seeing every single aspect of my VBAC birth since I had ZERO to do with the cesarean birth. The second time, I wanted to know about everything!
I just got my placenta encapsulated by Placenta Benefits. I started to take them yesterday and I feel awesome. Considering I had an unplanned C-Section, I feel GREAT!

Here is a link to my blog that has pictures of my placenta.
I just had my baby at home on May 2 of this year. When my baby was born we noticed that the cord was a little short. After the cord was cut the midwife tugged on the cord to see if the placenta had seperated and the cord came off. I knew that's not a good thing but I wasn't worried, there wasn't much bleeding. About thirty minutes later my midwife announced that if I didn't push that placenta out then she was going to go in after it. I put my mind to the task and in a few moments we had a placenta. The placenta was small. It was about 75% of what one would expect. We discovered that the cord had come off because it had been a velamentous insertion, it was only attached to the mebranes, not the placenta itself. The three blood vessels went into the placenta with no protection.

My baby was born healthy at 40w2d. She was 6 lbs 5 oz. 19 inches long. We had four sonograms under the care of an OB who was desperate to find something wrong with me so he could declare me unfit to deliver at home. No one EVER found the placental problems. With a velamentous cord insertion, pitocin augmentation/induction proves fatal in nearly half of all undiagnosed cases. I was a primipara who labored for 13 hours. I was stuck at 7 cm for five hours. My waters broke early on, technically I had prolonged rupture of membranes. If I had been in the hospital they would have done things to me. If I had not given birth at home and instead had an actively managed hosital birth there is a good chance my baby girl would not have survived. Instead, by the grace of God and the hands of three skilled midwives, we have a beautiful baby girl that is asleep on my lap as I type this.

After the birth the placenta was double bagged and put in our freezer. Three weeks later it went into our trash. I wanted to take a picture but I didn't get the chance. I also wanted to bury it in the yard but DH didn't want to dig the hole. Originally I wanted to do a placenta print but I decided against it on grounds of squeamishness. I have alot of "coulda, woulda, shoulda" with my placenta, but its gone now and I'm ok with that.
Attachments:

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service