We’d like to introduce the fabulous lactation consultant at MILKALICIOUS Breastfeeding Boutique, JENNIFER RITCHIE. Jennifer and her co-founder JENNIFER KUSIMER are committed to increasing long-term breastfeeding rates by offering breastfeeding support to new mothers. Both founders of Milkalicious are certified through UCSD as Lactation Professionals, and Jennifer Ritchie is currently the Vice President of the Orange County Breastfeeding Coalition.
Milkalicious has offered to host an online forum to answer all your breastfeeding questions this week. Please post any related questions or concerns here.

Tags: breastfeeding, lactation, milkalicious

Views: 208

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How much fluid should a breastfeeding mother be drinking every day? My goal is 3 liters per day. I know eating enough calories is essential to good milk production too, but I can't help but wonder if low fluid intake contributes to loss of milk supply. I've had at least five mothers in the last 3 weeks tell me that they quit breastfeeding because they couldn't make enough milk.

Living in the Southwest where humidity is low, it is common for people to walk around mildly dehydrated since they are losing water just by breathing the dry air. I've noticed on days that I don't drink enough, I don't make as much milk. Could these Mom's who told me they couldn't make enough milk have been mildly dehydrated?
Our chiropractor and others have stated that a pregnant or nursing mom should drink half her weight in ounces of water per day. I've been nursing two so I have to make sure I have plenty of water to drink.

And, you're right. If one is dehydrated they won't produce as much milk nor will they be as healthy.
According to The Breastfeeding Answer Book, lactating mothers should drink to thirst: the author cited studies that showed that women who drunk 25% more water than to thirst had "thinner" milk.
My son is 10 weeks old. We had difficulty nursing at first and he lost too much of his birth weight so we have been nursing and formula-feeding, alternately, ever since. I was never able to build my milk supply up enough to breastfeed exclusively. Two questions:
1. Will I be able to continue this feeding routine for the long-term or will my milk supply eventually dwindle?
2. When he nurses, he has to suck vigourously the whole time. My milk does not flow on its own. Is this a result of our initial trouble or is this a problem with me that will occur again with my next child?
Hello Jennifer(s)!! I am currently 20 weeks pregnant with a little girl I never thought I'd have. That being said, I have breast implants and would very much like to breast feed. Are there any studies regarding the success rate for breastfeeding after implants that you know of? Thank you in advance for any input.
Hello hope this helps even if it's so late now. It depends on the type of breast implants you got, where they cut, what they used etc. May be a good idea to ask the surgeon what he did exactly so you can know wheter he left you able to breastfeed or not. Good luck anyway!
I had some trouble with breastfeeding with my first two daughters and I want this one (due on 9/20-ish) to be a little easier.

My question is: With large breasts (they manage an E or EE when full but not overly so) and "average" nipples - is it more helpful to try and squeeze the breast so it is more vertical, matching the baby's mouth when it is sideways and nursing...or should i be squeezing the breast so it is horizontal and turn baby to a comfier position once latched?

Hope I was able to express that somewhat clearly.

Thank you for being willing to answer questions!!

Jen
How did it go? There is no needing to squeezing anyway, just let the baby always feed in a position comfortable for both =)
Hi! I have a 13-month-old daughter who is breastfed. She is down to once-a-day before bed and she's eating tons of solids and drinking vit. D milk. Anyway, my husband and I want to get pregnant again soon (I'm 34), and it just doesn't seem to be happening yet. My periods have been regular since March. Do you think I'm not ovulating? This was mentioned to me recently, that I may need to stop BF before I'll start ovulating again. What do you think?
Breastfeeding is not a complication on getting pregnant, lots of moms tandem feed after birth even! So this tells you they don't stop during pregnancy =) sorry I got here so late.
My 3 1/2 week old daughter falls asleep while breastfeeding. I do switch breasts and burp and/or change her diaper to help wake her. But soon after she begins to nurse, she falls into sleep again. She feeds about every 60-90 minutes through out the day. She sleeps a bit longer during the early morning hours. My question is... Is this a normal or good pattern to be in? It seems she is using the breast as a pacifier. Is this a good habit? Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.
She could have been latching on wrong maybe? How did it go?

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service