Never let it be said that the persistence of a few crazy fanatics can't change the world: a proposal to ban male circumcision (for minors, only!) has officially been placed on the ballot in San Francisco. They did it, the crazy, crazy, crazy bastards! I guess when you take a step back and see the forest for the trees from 30,000 feet, the real lesson in all this is, "If you want to be assured of the right to have a doctor cut the foreskin off your baby's penis and you live in San Francisco, push that baby out before November or else go to a different city to have the baby, or else go to some back-alley circumcisionist."

Read more: http://ca.gawker.com/5803235/penis-preservation-prevails-ban-on-mal...

Tags: circumcision, francisco, san

Views: 17

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think the ban is wrong.  I think it's the parents right to make an informed decison & the ban is an infringment on religous freedom

i think it should go through - female circumcision is banned, even in relation to religion. i think boys should be afforded that same protection.
Female genital mutilation is NOT the same thing as infant male circumcision & I really wish people would stop comparing the two.

Okay, let me rephrase: Clitoridectomy: partial or total removal of the clitoris (a small, sensitive and erectile part of the female genitals) and, in very rare cases, only the prepuce (the fold of skin surrounding the clitoris)  is banned, even in relation to religion. i think boys should be afforded that same protection.

and the World Health Organization calls clitoridectomy female genital mutilation. So, i guess it is the same?

I agree with you 100% in regards to the Clitoridctomy, but again male circumcision is not the same.  I might feel differently if there were an overwhelming number of men who felt they shouldn't have been circumcised, but most of the outcries come from females & the outspoken males are few & far between.  I have been to both my brother's & son's bris & watched & I didn't feel it was a horrible barbaric procedure, my son slept through it & did not exibit any signs of discomfort or any problems or complications afterwards.  I discussed it with my husband & his opinon meant more to me than anyone elses.  If he had been against it I would not have allowed it.
This is ludicrous, they might as well ban Judaism from San Fran if they take away circumcision. There are many risks associated with other forms of elective surgery (ahem, ABORTION?), even more so than circumcision. How about they work on limiting and restricting those instead?

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service