Hot new research released this month shows that sleeping in bed with your baby at 3 months protected against weaning to up to age 12 months. Despite the possible pros, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission warns parents not to place their infants to sleep in adult beds, stating that the practice puts babies at risk of suffocation and strangulation. And the American Academy of Pediatrics agrees.

From January 1990 to December 1997 there were 121 deaths that were attributed to a parent, caregiver, or sibling rolling on top of or against a baby while sleeping. Over 1.5 million babies die every year related to misuse of infant formula, this is equal to the population of Northern Ireland.

Is the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission focusing their efforts in the right area? Please share your thoughts and experiences on this or feel free to ask me about any breastfeeding questions or concerns!

Milkalicious was founded in 2008 by Jennifer Ritchie and Jennifer Kusmier,
2 businesswomen/moms, who were interested in making their passion for breastfeeding a community-based business. The Jennifers work tirelessly to increase long-term breastfeeding rates in Orange County by offering breastfeeding support to new mothers. Both founders are certified through UCSD as Lactation Professionals, and Jennifer Ritchie is currently the Vice President of the Orange County Breastfeeding Coalition. For more on Milkalicious and Jennifer Ritchie visit milkalicious.org

Tags: breastfeeding, lactation, lake, milkalicious, mybestbirth, ricki

Views: 85

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I honestly think there are other authorities who can and should be giving advice on co-sleeping, other than the US CPSC. Who knows, crib manufacturers may be putting forth lobbying efforts to this agency to protect their own interests.

Co-sleeping is not a consumer products issue. It is a parenting issue.
This has nothing to do with co-sleeping but I am shocked that so many babies die from misuse of baby formula. I breastfeed exclusively so I never really researched formula. Where can I learn more about this?
It's my understanding that those numbers include deaths where the parent and child were on a couch, the parents were on medication, had recently had alcohol, or were smokers, all things that are advised against by co-sleeping proponents. It would be nice to know how many of those 1.5 million babies were in safe co-sleeping situations, and how many were not.
Hello Briana,
The World Heath Organization is the leader behind the research. At a press conference in Switzerland this week, the WHO announced that fewer than 40 percent of mothers worldwide breast-feed their infants exclusively in the first six months. Many abandon it because they don't know how to get their baby to latch on properly or suffer pain and discomfort.

"When it comes to doing it practically, they don't have the practical support," WHO expert Constanza Vallenas told a news briefing in Geneva, where the United Nations agency is based. This is a problem in both rich and poor countries, she said, calling for more assistance in hospitals, health clinics and communities for new mothers who need information and help.

The WHO recommends that babies start breast-feeding within one hour of their birth, and ingest only breast milk for the first six months, avoiding water and other drinks and foods.This can give children vital nutrients and strengthen their immune system to fight diseases like diarrhea and pneumonia. Formula milk does not provide the same immunity and local water can be contaminated or unsafe in many parts of the world.

Raising to 90 percent the global breast-feeding rate for infants to six months would save an estimated 13 percent of the 10 million under-age-5 deaths a year, Vallenas said.
There are a lot of pros with a family bed. Lets not put fear into people on this blog. I don't think that is the purpose here. We all have our own opinions of what is right for our own family. I for one do not just look at the US CPSC to tell me what is safe and what is not. You have to use your own judgment.
Hi Erica,
There are on average 17 deaths a year due to a co-sleeping situation, and that is in any area and any situation ( a couch, a chair, a bed, etc.). It really puts things in perspective.
My baby has slept in the bed with me and my husband since the day she was born there and I wouldn't have it any other way. I hope it's ok to ask questions about breastfeeding because I am just recently having an issue with my daughter who is 5 months old. This is my first baby, so I'm not sure if this is normal, but I am feeling as though my milk supply may be decreasing. Emerson wants to nurse about every 1 1/2 to 2 hours during the day and about every 3 hours at night and I feel like I can't keep up. I have exclusively breastfed from birth, I have very good nutrition and weight-wise am down to my pre-pregnancy weight. I don't eat anything but proteins, veggies, fruits and the occassional whole grains. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to increase my milk supply or if it is even needed.? Thanks for your help.
Hi Cindy,
Breastfeeding is not only physical, it is hormonal. It sounds like you are getting enough nipple stimulation because you are feeding so often. To boost your supply, I would recommend taking a Galactogogue. This can be a food, herb, or drug that help boost your milk supply. Galactogogue foods include: oatmeal (not instant) brown rice, and beans; Galactogogue herbs include fenugreek , blended thistle, and goads rue, and Galactogogues drugs include Motilum and Reglan. The company Motherlove sells a special blend of these herbs in a liquid and capsule form, and many of my clients have had success using it. The two most common Galactogogue drugs are metoclopramide (Reglan) and domperidone (Motilium). Both work by raising prolactin, but Reglan does cross the blood brain barrier and can cause depression. Domperidone does not have this problem. If you have more questions regarding this, let me know. you can also find more info on my site at http://www.milkalicious.org/resources.html

Best regards,
Jennifer
Thanks for the help. I have been using a natural lactation supplement with fenugreek and will continue to do so. As for the drugs, I would never ever put that in my body..ick! I have not had a drug in my body for over 6 years, so I wouldn't want to do that. But, I will continue to eat my oats (I already do everyday) and I am confident that my body will do what it's supposed to. It is probably more inconvenient than anything else to be feeding her so often. I really appreciate your help, thanks.
Hi Cindy! With both my boys I worried from time to time that my milk supply was not sufficient. What makes you feel that your milk supply has decreased?
Just the fact that she only takes about 5 minutes to suck one breast dry and then wants to eat again about 1 1/2 to 2 hours later.
Ahh yes! She's a growing girl and if she's not eating solids (which is great) then the demand is likely to not change much. My youngest didn't want solids until about 10 months and he was eating as often as Emerson. It was an inconvenience at times but I stuck with it and I'm glad that I did. Good luck and You are doing great!!

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service