"Leaving young babies to cry themselves to sleep can harm their developing brains, a parenting expert claims."

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've read many similar studies about the various risks of the Ferber Method (ala: "Cry It Out"), it's definitely something to consider if anyone intends to use the method. It seems like they're really scientifically breaking it down and finding more and more dangers to it every year.
I tried that method for a couple days and hated it. It just wasn't for me or my son, we both cried the whole time and it went against every motherly instinct I have. We have co-slept from the day L was born and love it. So why fix something that isn't broken?

I wrote about my experience with co-sleeping here for NYC Moms Blog and also often mention it on my blog, Dagmar's momsense.

Dagmar
@DagmarBleasdale
That's funny. I didn't let my first cry it out, and we regretted that, still regret it to this day. My second cried it out, and he goes to sleep faster than I can close the door! I wish my first could go to sleep by himself. He'll probably be one of those kids with insomnia and problems in college. :)
I do not agree with the cry-it-out method. There may be times when you cant figure out why baby is crying and you just hold them until they calm down, but i cant imagine not responding at all. Intuitively it feels like it would be damaging. I have a friend whose baby is a few months younger. Sometimes i call and the baby is crying in the background. I ask if everything is ok and she says that he doesnt want her to hold him, he just wants to cry so she lets him. I didnt think a baby would make the choice to not have contact and a response to their crying. I know I dont like to be ignored and I shut down and feel bad in a group that does not value my presence.
I've never attempted to let my baby girl cry it out. Whenever she cries, I hold her and tell her I love her. I think it's important to support your baby, so they feel loved and cared for. I know that is how I like to be treated when I'm crying...rather than be left alone.

When it comes to putting her down to sleep, (as I've read articles that imply letting a child cry themselves to sleep equals longer and more sound sleeping...) I nurse her down every night and have never had a problem with her falling asleep and staying asleep doing it that way. My calm and deep breathing calms her and before I know it, she's nodded off.

I like this approach and won't do it any other way for my future children.
CIO method and as well as other baby "training" methods (ie: Ezzo) can destroy breastfeeding relationships. Even the AAP takes a stance against these methods. Listen to your babies! They are communicating in the only way they know how. To ignore those first attempts at communication has lasting effects. Studies show these babies cry more, nurse less and are less independent as older children. Just imagine if you were a baby and you cried out for someone to hold you and your were ignored, you'd eventually give up. Do we really want our babies to give up trying to express themselves?
Hmm, my sister was reading this article, and she said she thinks they are talking about different things...and OLDER children. I would nurse my babies to sleep when they were little, and we did co-sleeping, but when they get old enough to learn to go to sleep on their own, it absolutely DOES NOT harm them, in my humble opinion, to learn how to self-soothe and how to get to sleep without mommy and daddy spending all night up with them. Little babies should not be left unattended, and they frequently are in orphanages, etc. On the other hand, many friends have terrible nights with their 7, 8, 9 year olds, who never learned how to go to sleep by themselves.
I am not a fan of CIO. I never did it with my daughter and had a terrible experience when my ex-mother in law went against my wishes and did it one day. I arrived to pick her up and her clothes had been changed. Turns out, the MIL thought that she needed to cry it out so she left her lay in a pile of poo that ran all the way up her back and into her hair for over an hour!! She didn't get to baby sit again after that. My ex (following his mothers guidance) let his 1 year old son cry it out, only to find that he was crying because his leg had become lodged between the bars of his crib and he'd been struggling to free himself for, you guessed it, more than an hour. He actually had a sprain and contusions and it delayed his walking. Babies cry for a reason. They can't communicate in any other way. There is a difference between crying to have needs met and a temper tantrum. Under a year old, you can count on the former being the reason for the noise. I've heard people suggest that babies are manipulating them etc and that is just silly.

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service