I'm just curious if anyone knows what kind of education CPM receive in their state. I am also wondering how it compares to those in Europe or Canada.

Views: 79

Replies to This Discussion

If you go to the website for each individual school and search through the programs and course descriptions (usually under section for students or future students) you should be able to get a good idea of the curriculum.
Just wanted to point out that the exams that the CPM takes for certification are not the same as the ones that the CNM takes. The CNM takes an exam written by the American College of Nurse-Midwives and is then credentialed by the American Midwifery Certification Board. They only credential CNMs and CMs (Certified Midwife; these are only in a very few states). CNMs also have to have an active state license in their state, both as a CNM and as an RN, as well as a Certificate to Prescribe (also granted by the state).

The CPM takes a different exam put out by MANA and is then credentialed through MANA. I'm unclear on the state licensing process for CPMs.

I took a look at the Aviva Institute link that you posted. It looks like they are in the process of trying to become accredited, but are not as of yet. This means that the credits taken there are not transferable to any other 4-year accredited program, and likely means that graduates could not get into a master's program with that degree (if they so desired). Are there any accredited bachelor's programs for CPMs that you know of? I don't know of any here (OH), but then again, Ohio is not particularly friendly to midwives of any sort!
Bastyr (WA): They are in process (Fall 2010) of becoming accredited by Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU) and Midwifery Education Accreditation Council (MEAC) to offer BS & MS degrees in Midwifery.

Birthingway (OR) does offer a BS in Midwifery but you must take the General Education courses at another college and transfer them in, they do not offer the gen ed courses. If don't transfer in gen ed credits from another college you get a Midwifery Certification only.

In addition to the others you listed, according to MEAC website, these are the only accredited Midwifery achools that offer BS or MS degrees in Midwifery.
MCU in Utah is...www.midwifery.edu. You can get a masters there also.
That's awesome that there are so many choices!

There is also the Seattle School of Midwifery, although I'm not sure what degree options they offer.

You're right - Ohio is not very homebirth friendly, but we are lucky to have a great group of CPMs here in Columbus who have a very successful homebirth business!
The Seattle School of Midwifery does not offer BS or MS degrees.
I went to a midwife meeting today, and I just learned that MCU is now primarily online.
I am in Texas. In this state, there are CNM and CPM/DEM. To become liscensed as a CPM in Tx you have 3 options:

1)complete a course of study at a school approved by the TX Midwifery Board (there are currently 3 in TX and all are MEAC) AND pass the state exam (which is given by NARM).
2)Complete a course of study at a school accredited by MEAC AND pass the state/NARM exam AND complete a course on current Texas Midwifery Basic Information
3) be a CPM registered w/NARM by having completed the NARM certification/exam process AND pass a course on the current Texas Midwifery Basic Information

In addition you must also: provide a copy of current CPR card issued by either the Red Cross or American Heart Association; a copy of a Neonatal Resuscitation training card issued by the American Academy of Pediatrics; either a Newborn Screening Plan, or evidence of approved training in Newborn Screening; AND proof of passing the board’s online Jurisprudence Examination.

In any case for a course of study to be approved by TX for certification as a CPM it must contain/consist of (based on NARM and MANA competencies and standards):

A didactic component which shall:

(i) be based upon and completely cover the most current Core Competencies and Standards of Practice of the Midwives Alliance of North America (MANA) and the current Texas Midwifery Basic Information Manual;
(ii) prepare the student to apply for certification by North American Registry of Midwives (NARM); and
(iii) include a minimum of 250 hours course work.

AND provide clinical experience/preceptorship of at least one year in duration but no more than five years in duration and equivalent to 1350 clinical contact hours which prepares the student to become certified by NARM, including successful completion of at least the following activities:

(A) serving as an active participant in attending 20 births;
(B) serving as the primary midwife, under supervision, in attending 20 additional births, at least 10 of which shall be out-of-hospital births;
(C) serving as the primary midwife, under supervision, in performing;

(i) 75 prenatal exams, including at least 20 initial history and physical exams;
(ii) 20 newborn exams; and
(iii) 40 postpartum exams.

For renewal every two years a MW must have current CPR, Neonatal Recusitation, and 20 hours of accredited/approved courses in Continuing Education.

Midwife Education Accreditation Council is the body approved by the U.S. Secretary of Education the nationally recognized accrediting agency for Midwifery Schools. Great website: you can go to each school's website and see their requirements for graduation, descriptions of the courses and standards and whether or not they offer BS degrees. Website is http://meacschools.org/index.php.

I am not sure how the requirements in TX compare to those in Europe or Canada but I will investigate and let you know...
I would love it if you could find out, because it appears that they have pretty good stats for their home births.
So, after reviewing the requirements for liscensure/certification as a MW in Canada and Europe I found:

1) England and Canada both require BS in Midwifery and passing an exam (this gets you the same rights to write prescriptions as CNM have in the US). However, both also have routes to certification that allow for praticing Midwives trained in countries that do not require a BSM to become a certified MW. This boils down to a "deficiency plan" and basically is a series of exams to ensure they meet standards of Midwifery in that country and classes that "fill in the blanks" and cover the laws and statues specific to that country.

2) While England is a nationally credited system Canada is "providence" specific--although all require either a BSM or "deficiency route"--each providence is responsible for setting its own education requirements, certification routes and liscensure.

3) There is a European Midwives Association (Much like MANA) and is a professional organization not a regulating body. Different countries in Europe have different education and liscensing requirements for Midwives (I tried to research the exact requirements for various countries, but most of the websites are written in that native language, ie. French, German, etc...so there were translation issues :)

4) The description of the didactic and clinical practice standards and learning outcomes for Midwives in England, Canada, and US are basically the same, it is mostly the route of education that differs, like whether or not you need a BSM or can attend a "vocational" Midwifery school and obtain liscensure. For example, in Texas, a "vocational" Midwife school is usually a 3 year program accredited by MEAC which certifies you as a CPM and does not offer programs of study in any other area (some offer routes to BSM and some don't). While in England, the same course of study is only offered in what they refer to as a "university" setting--in the US it would be the equivalent of a four year university of higher education, what we think of as a college-- (some specific to Midwifery education and some offer many programs one of which is Midwifery) in the same timeframe gets you a BSM.

5) In England, Canada, and US, each university and/or school sets its own program requirements and course of study. If they meet the standards, they are accredited and accepted as an approved institution to offer degrees that will be prepare a student to pass the exam and be accepted for liscensure. (In the US MEAC is the accrediting body for Midwifery schools/programs. Their standards are based on the standards of practice set by MANA and the requirements for national certification of the NARM.

6) While Canada and England require a BSM, the level of education and hours of didactic and clinical practice they are required to complete to get that degree is almost identical to the hours required to graduate from MEAC accredited Midwifery training programs that lead to examination and registration as a CPM by NARM.

I would bet that any student that trained in a MEAC accredited school and passed the exam given by NARM (this allows them to be registered as a CPM by NARM) would be able to easily become liscensed as a MW in both England and Canada with very little deficiencies--this is based on the similaritites of standards and expected competencies for midwives in all 3 countries.
Sara, thank you for doing the research and sharing it with us :) It seems there are discrepancies everywhere!
Cherylyn, that is not quite accurate as far as I know. My midwife is considered direct entry (community homebirth midwife), but she went to school for 3 years and completed a lengthy apprenticeship.

I think it has to do with whether or not state statutes accept the designation as CPM. My midwife explained it to me once and I have forgotten the details...but basically it varies state-to-state. I think. Now I'm going to ask her again!



Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.


© 2016   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service