I realize that most all members on this forum are very much anti-meds, anti-intervention. And that was my hope for my upcoming first birth. More than hope. My DH was going to do his best to help me make it through contractions without meds. But I think I may end up going with an induction. I don't want to be talked out of it (there is still time for me to decide) or judged. I would like feedback on what to expect, what questions to ask, etc (from those of you with experience) ABOUT induction.
But first here is the background to why I'm even considering this:
I'm currently on day 3 past EDD with my first pregnancy, realizing fully that a first time mom is likely to go past the estimated due date because the EDD is not a set-in-stone number, etc.
Yet, the level of my impatience and daily frustration is insane (which I also know is NORMAL). A month or two ago I actually was hoping I'd go a day or two late so I could enjoy Thanksgiving out of the hospital (EDD was 11/25). Once my EDD rolled around though I was already past ready, mentally, and I would have traded that turkey, etc for a daughter in a millisecond. But still pregnant today.
I truly wanted a natural labor for this first child. I wanted to experience the natural start of labor, the progression, etc... I wanted to power through contractions and make it happen without meds. And I know that a Pitocin induction can really mess that plan up.
Yet, unpushed by my doc, I scheduled a tentative induction for the 1st of Dec: 40 w 6 days. Why?
1) I'm going crazy waiting (alone this would not be enough reason)
2) I'm afraid of the 'possible' problems associated with cookin' a baby too long (complications with cord, complications with meconium). Yes, I know there are plenty of women who have NO problems and babies born JUST fine at 42 weeks or 42+ weeks. But just as there are those fearful of the 'possible rare' side effects of vaccines...I'm afraid of the possible complications of going late when there's no way to monitor baby 24/7 until labor begins.
3) My mom's schedule only allows her to be here until a set time in Dec which means if my baby doesn't come within the first day or two of Dec I won't see her or her help till after the first week of January. I could deal with this too, but I really WANT her here.
4) My inlaws already have tickets bought to come and help and if I waited till week 42 I'd have them for only 4 days instead of 13. That's also a big deal to me.
None of the above reasons on their own is enough to make me want to be induced. Impatience, though STRONG, is not enough. But put them all together and it really makes a strong case in my mind...FOR ME.
Not that I LIKE the idea. I am very afraid of pitocin and how yucky I've heard it can be. Luckily, my doc is confident (based on baby's position, my dilation/effacement, ripe cervix) that induction will go well (i.e. result in vaginal delivery) based on my Bishop score. But even then, ya never know. I'm trying now to work it out in my head for what I'll ask for. I would like to avoid AROM and I'd like to start on the lowest dose of Pit as well as get some reassurance my labor will not be rushed. I figure if my water hasn't broken and I've merely started Pit there is no reason to push things right away. Perhaps some of you can enlighten me on this.
I really don't have much faith in 'natural' induction methods because after all if the baby isn't ready it's not gonna work--otherwise people having sex, walking, eating spicy foods at 28 weeks would all go into labor. Since it doesn't work unless baby is ready...then 'baby being ready' is really the limiting factor and all the sex, spices, and walking in the world is useless til then.
Okay...so I'm ready for suggestions from those who've experienced induced labors. Please don't use your response to scare me out of it. I've read enough on that. I want advice on how to manage an induction, how likely it is I can avoid an epidural, what other options I've got during induction, and how to make it work best.
In the meantime, send me some labor dust so I don't even have to go there =)