I'm looking for women's personal experiences with midwives. Please contribute if you can!

I'm working on a series of blog posts for my blog: www.MamasAndBabies.blogspot.com about the midwifery model of care. I'm looking for input from women about their experiences with doctors and midwives. Even if your experience has been from an outside perspective (friend or family of the mother, doula, etc.) I would love to hear from you. It would be particularly helpful if you've had experiences with both doctors and midwives, but any input will be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you can contribute!

Views: 64

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had such wonderful experiences with both my home births. I have 3 little boys. My first was born in the hospital( against my wishes, husband insisted), my last 2 at home with a midwife. I had the same midwife for both prenatal visits but she was on Christmas vacation for my middle son's birth. For his birth my midwife's assistant asked if I would mind her bringing along an Amish midwife. I agreed to have her. She was so wonderful. Even as I had never met her before, she made me feel at ease with her right away. She helped me concentrate when a had just a lip left but felt like I had to push. She kept my attention so that I could breath through one last conctration before pushing. She encouraged me to listen to my body. I started pushing on the birthing stool but quickly found that to be uncomfortable and went to my hands and knees. That's all it took 4 more pushes and he was born. As for my last son, due the same day just a year after his older brother, I had my original midwife. She was wonderful as well. My baby was turned sideways during labor so she had to try to turn him during my contractions. This was very painful but she was so sweet trying to be dental as possible. She finally realized that it may be my mind that was delaying his birth ( I was 24 hrs in labor). She asked me if I wanted to have this baby. That was a very profound question that made me realize that I was actually mad at my baby for the pain he was causing me. I went in and took a hot shower during which I cried my eyes out then said to my baby," ok I'm ready for you". Within 20 minutes I delivered him. It only took 3 pushes to get him out. He was 9 lbs 8 oz. Which is 1.5 lbs bigger than my other two had been. I just found out that I am pregnant again with my 4th. I had a miscarriage 2 months ago so I'm a bit concerned but so far everything seems good. I have every intention of having this baby at home using the same midwife. I'd have it no other way. 
I started my prenatal care with an OB, but switched to a birth center with midwives.  The OB was great, but I only had one appointment with him, and if I'd stayed with him, I'd have delivered at a hospital with a high ceasarean rate (like in the 40% range).  I actually had to leave that OB for insurance reasons, but it was a godsend because I ended up with the midwives, whom I love!!!  They're very caring who ask you if they can do something before doing it, rather than most of the horror stories I've heard where the mother/patient doesn't get a choice.

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service