Incredible homebirth slideshow! Macy's fast hypnobirth.

I loved reading the other birth stories here! so i am happily sharing mine! :)

Macy’s Birth Story June 22 2010


Short version:

Homebirth of my second daughter. Morning (about 8 hrs) of early labour, followed by twenty minutes of active labour. The surges/contractions just came on gradually, felt like
menstrual cramps. In hindsight, great to be fast but it was quite intense! I
never made it into the birth pool, it was only half full. I used Hypnobirthing
the mongan method for the second time and can’t recommend it high enough. She
was 7lbs3oz . Photography by Karen Edwards.



Super duper long version ‘the story’:



Macy was born at 41 weeks 2 days. I had a fabulous pregnancy. Looked great, felt great and was in no hurry for it to end, but I ended up waiting longer than I thought. My first daughter
was born right at 40 weeks so I thought that Macy would come early. I finished
work a month before my due date, and was ready by 38 weeks. Nothing happening
except some Braxton hicks contractions. The birth pool was inflated and sat at
the end of the bed just waiting for me to jump in. I spent lots of time with my
3 year old daughter Elaina and also did a lot of organizing and cleaning around
the house. I was really looking forward to birthing again and was using my
Hypnobirthing cd’s to prepare. My sister came to visit just before my due date
and stayed a week. We thought the baby would be here before she arrived, then
got excited about her attending the birth. We did tons of walking, hiked a
mountain, ate pineapple & spices, acupuncture, attempt at a membrane sweep,
and everything I knew to help progress labour. No action so after a tearful
goodbye she flew back home when I was 41 weeks. Also at 41 weeks, my brother in
laws wedding and my husband was supposed to be the best man! He missed it and I
started regular contractions the next day. Wasn’t meant to be I guess! Every
night I went to bed thinking that tonight would be the night I’d wake up in
labour but then I’d wake up in the morning just the same. Disappointing but I
knew enough to be thankful for a great night’s sleep!


Early Labour

That Sunday evening I noticed the BH coming regularly, about every 9 minutes. I got excited that maybe that night things would pick up..nope. On Monday the BH were fairly
regular all day, about 1 minute long and 7-6 minutes apart.  I was having some bloody show and knew
this meant that the cervix was starting to dilate. I called the midwife Alyson
after dinner that night telling her that I was having 1 minute long
contractions, every 5 minutes, for over an hour but they were painless. I told
her not to bother coming to check as I knew that if they didn’t hurt then they
probably weren’t doing much. So that night I used my Hypnobirthing cd’s to
sleep and woke every couple hours a bit. About 4 am I got up and walked around,
used the ball, timed contractions then went back to bed. It is amazing how the
intensity sneaks up on you, they ever so gradually got stronger but it was hard
to notice the difference. It really does feel like menstrual cramps. Finally I
was in bed at 6am and had to grab onto Greg during a surge, he woke up and
called the midwife. I jumped in the shower to let the warm water release some
tension. Aly the midwife arrived after breakfast to check me and I was starting
to dilate but the cervix was very posterior and the baby’s head was very low in
front of it. Things weren’t ‘lined up’ so this was slowing progression. She
recommended hands and knees position and then left for a while. I spent time
walking, hands and knees, and on the birth ball. I tried the Hypnobirthing but
I couldn’t get into the breathing, it seemed to intensify the cervix pulling. I
gripped on Greg and moaned during surges but knew that I was tensing up and
this wasn’t the ‘best’ way to be dealing with the pain. It felt like I was
resisting it, and in truth I was afraid for things to intensify. It was the
turning point. I spoke with Aly on the phone and she suggested a homeopathic,
so I took one dose of black cohosh. At the same time I realized that I should
try a different Hypnobirthing track, I wish I had thought of that sooner! I put
it on my portable cd player and knelt at the foot of the bed. It got me quite
relaxed and I rested my head against the foot of the bed, just felt right to
rest my head on the footboard. Aly called to say that she was coming back by
2pm to check me. I just kept hanging on until then, thinking that I could make
it until 2. It gave me something to focus on. As the surges intensified I found
it helpful to have a visualization to go with the breathing. What popped in my
head was a red wave high above my head slowly making its way left to right
bobbing along the water, me being deep below. I knew that when it arrived at
the right side then the surge would be over. My friend Karen arrived to take
photos and I remember telling her that she may want to take some pictures now
and then come back later so I didn’t waste her time. She wisely decided to
ignore me and wait until the midwife came to assess me.


Active Labour

Aly arrived about 2:45pm and listened to the baby’s heartbeat. I was at the foot of the bed and all smiley. I remember telling her that the ‘drugs are kicking in now’ meaning
those good endorphins! She checked me and I was 5 cm and the cervix was aligned
right over the baby, with a bulging bag of water. So I was ‘in labour’, she was
staying, and we could fill up the birth pool! I was sooooo happy to hear it,
she was like an angel delivering a message from god. I could not have been
happier at that point! She left the room to tell Greg the good news while I had
3 intense surges back to back on the bed. I made my way out to the living room
to ride the waves while Greg prepared the pool. I was so looking forward to the
pool because I remembered how amazing it felt to get in during my first
daughter’s birth. He got the hose hooked up and started filling it up. In the
living room I got a pillow to kneel on and continued with my Hypnobirthing
tracks. I remember thinking at this point that I should have a chux pad under
me as my water hadn’t broken yet and I love that pillow, but I was too ‘deep’ to
vocalize it. The midwife was on the couch starting her paperwork. I was silent
during these very intense surges as I was so relaxed. I had 2 surges this way
and then one with an extra intensity at the end, I almost whimpered. Then the
next one was a super long very intense force of the world surge and I felt
movement ‘fly’ down the birth canal. I made an involuntary wild animal
cry/groan with a load pushy grunt at the end. Aly jumped off the couch asking
me what was happening, she got no response as it was not possible to put it
into words! Greg dropped the hose in the pool and came running with Karen. He
knelt at my head and told me to breathe (which was very helpful for real!).
Another huge surge came and the baby crowned and I guess my water broke at this



The feeling of the baby being pushed down is indescribable, but kind up like throwing up the other way. Totally involuntary and no control. Somehow Aly had called the back up midwife,
spread chux everywhere, set out her equipment, took off my undies, and put on
gloves in the span of seconds. I guess all midwives have lightening fast
reflexes! The crowning sensation was very intense, ring of fire as many say. I
got scared here and apparently asked for help and if I could get in the pool. I
still had my headphones on so I pulled them out. I tried my best to slow the
pushing and breathe so that I could stretch. The head felt huge and I was
scared of a big baby because I was so overdue. I could have had her out in one
push but I tried to ease her out and so it took a few minutes. I felt the head
come out and so looked between my legs and saw the head hanging down. Then she
was born and Aly unwrapped the cord and passed her though my legs. There was a
bit of yellow meconium in the water. I grabbed her and held her against me,
someone then took my shirt off so I could have her next to my chest. We all
looked at once to check the sex and I felt myself saying it's a girl just as we
were opening the blanket to have a peek. I was so happy! I was hoping for
another girl. So to recap, active labour was 20 mins, ‘pushing’ 10 mins, Macy
born at 3:36pm. The midwife had only been here for less than an hour! The urge
to push and the crowning sensations were so intense compared to Elaina’s
waterbirth, now I know what those really feel like!

I was supported to move to the couch where Macy had a good cry. I told her that is was okay to cry, it was scary! Must have been intense for her too. The other midwife arrived with a big
grin on her face. I felt like I was in shock a bit, still trying to breathe. It
all happened so fast and so intense that I think my brain took a few hours to
catch up. Greg gave me some rescue remedy Bach flower to help. He cut the cord
and we waited for the placenta, took about 30 minutes. I had to sit on the
birthing stool and push a bit. The placenta was unique as it was a battledore
velamentous insertion, the midwives gawked at it for a long time. Macy cried a
lot I sang twinkle twinkle little star and she calmed a bit.



I was tucked into bed with Macy and we began breastfeeding, she had such a strong suck it made me gasp! Macy nursed for hours that night. She had her newborn exam and was weighed.
7lbs3oz, wow a peanut! Then my mom came home with Elaina as they had been out
playing. She came into bed and kissed and cuddled the baby, she was so happy to
have a sister. Such a sweet moment!

mso-fareast-language:EN-US"">I am still high from the birth, and I get an
adrenaline rush every time I think about it. It was awesome in the truest sense
of the word.

Views: 100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow - this is such a beautiful homebirth!!! Congrats :). What a miracle...and a wonderful way to give birth.
i want to add that i am honoured to live in british columbia canada. one of many provinces that cover midwifery care under the government medical services plan. yes that means FREE! prenatal care, birth at home or hospital, and postnatal care. they even lent me their birth pool! i wish it could be that way for all women.
This is fantastic. Do you care if it gets passed on? As a doula I am always looking for normal birth videos to share to help show that birth is natural, beautiful and does not need to be feared or numbed away.
Please share with the world!! I want everyone to pass it on.
and it also shows that you can't plan birth!
Loved the slide show thanks for sharing your story=-) I am just like you i love to reading the birth stories.



Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.


© 2016   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service