Laila Ali and Ana Paula Markel are here to answer your questions!

“The Business of Being Born” really inspired my birth choices and I would love more women to educate themselves and explore their birth options.  Thanks for watching the interview clips.  My doula, Ana Paula Markel, and I would be happy to answer any questions you have.

Thanks, Laila

Tags: Ali, Ana, Laila, Markel, Paula, birth, celebrity, home, hospital, webisode

Views: 55

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Laila, how did you handle any negativity or doubt from friends and family members who knew that you were going to have a natural birth? It's so hard to know what to say while still trying to educate others.
Laila, Since circumstances did not allow the outcome of a homebirth, do you find it more challenging to advocate for it, in the sense that, your story had the complications which warranted a hospital birth? Have you felt that it might potentiallly deter a friend or family member?
For instance, none of my family members thought twice about the word "complication" in a hospital setting because they generally have a false sense of security that if a complication occurs in a hospital that it automatically means all will be well. In some cases, this is true, but in other cases, it is not.

Also, how did you alter your workouts during pregnancy?

Thank you!
"Laila, Since circumstances did not allow the outcome of a home birth, do you find it more challenging to advocate for it, in the sense that, your story had the complications which warranted a hospital birth?"

No. I still encourage women to take control of their own birth process and educate themselves about all of their options. I educated myself and decided I wanted to do a home birth and learned that if there were any complications or abnormalities, I may have to go to the hospital. My main concern through the entire hospital was that I did was best for my child.

"Have you felt that it might potentially deter a friend or family member?"

Most people are not educated about natural birth because our society teaches us that woman should depend on their doctors and have babies at the hospital. I don't worry myself about what decisions women make when it comes to giving birth. I just share my thoughts and experience hoping that it will help empower them and help them find the courage to take control of their own womanhood.

"For instance, none of my family members thought twice about the word "complication" in a hospital setting because they generally have a false sense of security that if a complication occurs in a hospital that it automatically means all will be well. In some cases, this is true, but in other cases, it is not."

Natural birth at a hospital is an option for those who do not feel comfortable doing it at home. I think it's important for woman to make sure they choose a doctor that understands and supports her birth. I had a doctor who supports natural birth and regularly works with midwifes. I was able to trust him and he supported my natural birth plan, even though it took place in a hospital.

"Also, how did you alter your workouts during pregnancy?"

I did a lot of cardio and walking. I always wore a heart monitor to make sure my heart rate stayed in my target range. I continued doing light weight training but took it very easy.
You are a powerful woman, Laila! (in more than one way)

Thank you so much for taking the time out to answer my questions :)
"Laila, how did you handle any negativity or doubt from friends and family members who knew that you were going to have a natural birth? It's so hard to know what to say while still trying to educate others."

First of all, I understood that it was not my job to explain my choices or get anyone's approval. You have to be confident in your choice before you start sharing it. Most people are not educated about natural birth or are against it. You have to be aware and prepared for negative comments and opinions. They best way to deal with it is to tell those people that they really should educate themselves because women have been giving birth naturally since the beginning of time. Most people just can't gather the courage to do it because they are afraid of the pain. But we all have a right to choose our own way. Just remember that this is your life and your baby and you have the power. Surround yourself with supportive people. The negative one's just don't know any better! Lol!
Hi Laila--first let me say congrats on your first born (I know its a little late, but its still nice to hear ;) The business of being born was very inspiring for me also and helped me decide in having a vbac at home this January. It is so great to hear celebrities exploring birth options when it seems all you hear of is who had their c-section where and when.... Quick question--when your epidural wore off did you have a lot of pain in the "lower area?" Just curious because I did with my homebirth for quite a while after Olivia was born, and I have a couple friends now considering homebirth too, but if they choose not to, what its like "post epidural"..... I am aking you because all of the people we know who have had epidurals also had a lot of drugs post epidural and I am thinking maybe you didn't since your goal was to be as natural as possible... Thanks Laila! Loved you on DWTS ;) Sarah Leggett (Las Vegas)
"Thank you so much! First, let me say that unfortunately, lots of women are choosing to have C sections, not just celebrities. You just hear about it when celebrities do it because the media is always in their business.
Hi Laila--first let me say congrats on your first born (I know its a little late, but its still nice to hear ;) The business of being born was very inspiring for me also and helped me decide in having a vbac at home this January. It is so great to hear celebrities exploring birth options when it seems all you hear of is who had their c-section where and when.... Quick question--when your epidural wore off did you have a lot of pain in the "lower area?" Just curious because I did with my homebirth for quite a while after Olivia was born, and I have a couple friends now considering homebirth too, but if they choose not to, what its like "post epidural"..... I am aking you because all of the people we know who have had epidurals also had a lot of drugs post epidural and I am thinking maybe you didn't since your goal was to be as natural as possible... Thanks Laila! Loved you on DWTS" ;) Sarah Leggett (Las Vegas)

I did feel all of the same discomfort you felt once the epidural wore off. But once the epidural was out of my system, I was so happy because I was back in control of the lower half of my body and was able to move around without assistance.
Please let your friends know that even if they do not decide to have a homebirth, they can still have a natural birth at the hospital. But once they feel the contractions, it will be very tempting to ask for the epidural. They must gather their courage and stay strong until the end! I wish you and your baby all the best!
Laila

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service