(Reuters Health) - A new study finds that women who develop a severe form of pregnancy-related high blood pressure tend to have lower blood levels of vitamin D than healthy pregnant women -- raising the possibility that the vitamin plays a role in the complication.

Tags: blood, d, pregnancy, pressure, vitamin

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This article is interesting. Vitamin D is absorbed from sunlight. In a textbook for midwives (published in 1956) I found the recommendation that a pregnant woman should try to spend two hours a day in sunshine.
When I taught health and fitness classes at the University of Florida, I told my students about the research I'd read saying that you get your full amount of Vitamin D by simply getting 15 minutes of sunshine on your face and hands. That's not hard to do - but now I recommend a half hour of full sunshine to my consulting clients (here's my site) - that is, go out into your backyard on a sunny afternoon with a swimsuit or tank top and shorts on, spending 15 minutes lying on each side. Of course, lying on your stomach won't happen very soon if you're pregnant, but lying on your back will be a blessing. Since the weather's cooling off, it's still great to get outside for a walk - take 15 to 30 minutes in the afternoon to take a stroll - no huffing and puffing, just walking at your own pace. The sunlight on your face and hands (arms too, if it's warm enough) will make a big difference.

Charis Brown Malloy
visit my site
visit my blog
visit my twitter

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service