Ina May Gaskin started delivering babies in 1970 while on a hippie cross-country trip known as the caravan. She had no medical training, just a master's degree in English and a gut feeling that women deserved kinder, gentler births. When the hundreds of caravaners settled in Tennessee on what they called the Farm, Gaskin and several other women began delivering the community's babies at home and also opened one of the first, nonhospital birthing centers in the country. Word got around when Gaskin wrote about her successes in Spiritual Midwifery, and a movement was born.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2062393,00.html#ixzz...

Tags: birth, gaskin, ina, matters, may, philadelphia

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for sharing.  It is hard for me to read the responses to the article because people become so angry about it.  I don't understand why so many people can't make the decision for homebirth without being negatively judged for it.  I am thankful for having supportive family, friends, and coworkers--even if they are not fully informed--they trust that I am making a great decision.  MyBestBirth.com and The Business of Being Born has been a life changer for me!  I look forward to my first due date in December!  I am not scared of labor!

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service