Soon after being 100% sold on a home-birth or a birthing center, it dawns on me that my insurance (Medi-Cal. Government Aid) does not cover midwives.

It took all night to cry the tears out.

No use in crying anymore. It is what it is. I can't fork down 5,000+ dollars and my insurance is a no-go. Stiff upper lip! You can do this, Susan!

Natural birth in a hospital!

I am blessed enough to have found Dr. Right on my second try.

Yes, he'll allow birthing in a position other than on my back.
Yes, he's pro-unmedicated birth and even admits, "It's much healthier for the baby!"
Yes, he is encouraging me to labor at home until the last minute before my water breaks or I see blood.

I was thrilled to hear all of this! His downside? When I asked about having intermittent only fetal monitoring, he actually mumbled, "I could get sued..." and then quickly replied, "We'll talk about it when the time comes."

What?! No! No! I want to talk about this now! I'd love to be able to walk around during labor or even labor while squatting and I can't do this with wires and tubes up my crotch! .....No, I did not exclaim this. I didn't want to scare him off just yet. That's for the next visit. Better leave it at that for now.

I can't believe I even have to worry about this kind of thing!

Anyone else out there attempting a natural birth in a hospital? Or have been through one before? Is it possible to get through it without pressure and drug offers or being snipped and cut?

Tags: Dr., Right, birth, cry, hospital, insurance, natural, positions, questions, surgery, More…un-medicated, worries, worry

Views: 626

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have had three births natural at a hospital and and currently a L&D nurse. It is possible, but you have to be a little more assertive. EFM is used all the time because doctors are afraid of being sued. That really is the main reason it is still being used so much. The stip that prints out, is what courts look at to decide whether or not the doctor did the right thing, plus it is standard practice. Doctors are less likely to lose a case if they are following standard practice. That said, research has shown that intermittent monitoring is just as safe as EFM. Talk to him now about it. If you have research to show him, do that. And doctors can always override hospital policy.

The other thing, try and request a nurse who has done natural childbirths or who knows how to work with natural childbirths. I think most people here have covered the movement part. You can move around, and you can use telemetry units, if your hospital provides them. The hard thing with EFM is it can sometimes be hard to keep baby's heart rate clear. Have someone also pay attention to the screen that the heart rate is showing up on. If it looks like it is not picking up, you can adjust the monitor yourself before a nurse even comes in the room. It can be tricky sometimes. Cherylyn covered internal monitors also. This is a tricky one for me, because there can be complications with them also. But, they allow a much easier time moving around for those who are going natural and need EFM. I wouldn't do it though if your water has ruptured yet.

Hospital beds are wonderful to use for natural birthers, though we use them different:) The top and bottom can both move to different positions to help facilitate squating, sitting, kneeling, etc. Plus it provides a soft surface for you. Also, tell the nurses not offer pain medication unless you ask for it. As for episiotomies, that's entirely up to your doctor. I would discuss this with him also.

Good luck. The hospital births I had were still wonderful, and I still felt very much in control(though I know others have felt differently). Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you for replying! Very encouraging. I will definitely ask you more questions as they pop up. Thanks again!! This is all really helping me to mentally prepare myself!
I have had 3 natural births in hospital. That being said... I am in Canada so we are going away from constant monitoring and encouraging intermittent EXTERNAL monitoring only - which I had all 3 times. So nothing up, just the initial strip ON the belly. And even that you can be standing or whatever, as long as they can get a read on heartbeat. My second daughter I was allowed to be on my birthing ball as long as they could get heartbeat between contrax. We did it all 3 times with no doula but my mom is an RN and was there fir the first 2. (though I had fast labors, if I had any longer I would want a doula too!) this last time (a week ago) it was just DH and I.

Encourage the nurse to check on the heartbeat with a handheld doppler as often as she would like to appease the doctor. My nurse just had me turn torard the open shower curtain so she could check, then I turned back into the water. No big deal, just ever so slightly chilly! ;-)

Find a compromise you can both handle, and remember that while your doc seems to make the rules, he isnt there all that much, and its the nurses that will try to go with policy anyways, no matter what you and your doc decide!

Also, my docs only did an episiotomy the first time, because I was going to tear UP which is really difficult to repair and heal from... better to make sure that didnt happen. The second and third times I had a little "skid mark" up on my labia/clitoris but otherwise no ripping, tearing, or snipping and cutting!
Also, my docs only did an episiotomy the first time, because I was going to tear UP which is really difficult to repair and heal from... better to make sure that didnt happen.

This situation is the entire reason the technique was developed in the first place. It is to prevent damage to the urethra and is completely warranted in the situation. JMO of course. Sounds like a great doctor!
OH she really is! Plus she lets me do pretty much whatever I want LOL - birthed on my side twice, up and about a LOT etc etc etc. Too bad she was on a course for the birth of our son last week WAAAAH! but her replacement was pretty good too.
Congrats on your recent birth! Good job!
Oops that reply was for Karen M
Hee hee! thanks!
I had a completely natural unmedicated birth in a hospital. I was monitored for the required 20 minutes before taking off the fetal monitor. I refused the IV and spent my labor in the shower and walking around. I was in labor for 45 minutes before pushing. Know your rights, be educated and you CAN do it! It was the best experience of my life!
AWESOME! Good job and thanks for the encouragement!
Personally, I would refuse checks for dilation in a hospital because if the doctor doesn't like the rate at which you are progressing, drugs will likely be pushed on you. I would only accept one if you've been in labor for an extreme amount of time. I've written a post about it in my blog.
I'll check out your blog, thanks. These doctors have a way of making it seem like these specific options are not so optional. That it's all required for the "health of the baby".

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service