Hi all, I know that there are things doctors will say and try to do that aren't necessary. I know somethings will be necessary and I've kind of gotten a feel for that.
My midwife recently told me that she would give me Pitocin if I didn't progress quickly enough for the hospital's standards. I'm pretty much stuck with the hospital (Army hospital) if I want my insurance to cover anything. But I don't get why my midwife would tell me to get Pit or get out... Should I be concerned about this?
I'm not due for quite a while, but I want to make sure I can educate my husband on the why's and the how's of natural child birth. It's been a struggle as is to convince him that just because the doc wants to do something doesn't mean it's the best choice or even necessary. Especially for birthing positions.
I'm thinking I might just wait a few hours before I even go into the hospital... I'd rather have a home birth, but we just can't afford it :(

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Elizabeth! Congratulations on your pregnancy! I'm not a midwife or anything, but I'm a mom of 3 and have had a cesarean and 2 natural VBACs and I've hired both OBs and Midwives, so I'll try to help you out with my personal experiences. For me, if my midwife said what yours is saying to you, I'd either get someone else (which may or may not be possible for you) or I'd have a real heart-to-heart with the midwife in question....which may be the better way to go for you. I'd ask her all the "why" questions and NOT be satisified with "that's hospital policy". I'd also want to know ALL the details like "what are the hospital's standards for how quickly I need to deliver?" Is it a 24 hour-type-deal or is it like dilation of a cm-per-hour?

Honestly, my gut reaction is that you probably won't have much chance at a natural childbirth at this hospital. BUT....if homebirth is really not an option for you, then know that it CAN be done. You will need to hire a doula and you will need to plan to have most of your labor at home....where there won't be any hospital policies to get in your way. Then when you are well into active labor (and an experienced doula will be able to tell just by the noises you make and the expressions on your face) then you can head to the hospital. Chances are they won't be pushing the pit if your ready to start pushing! ;o)

Also, to get hubby on your side, I HIGHLY recommend getting The Business of Being Born (availabe on Netflix or possibly even at the rental places...not sure about that, but worth a try) and ask him to watch with you. I haven't met a person yet who wasn't affected by this movie....at the very least it will start a conversation between the two of you and give him some idea of where you are coming from.

Wishing all the best to you!
Thanks Krista!
About the movie, I Netflixed it and it's one of the reasons I've become so opinionated in my ideal birth plan. I need to get it again for Justin to watch. He's mainly interested in hearing the heart beat and seeing an ultrasound, but maybe because it's not a book or a website I might be able to get him to pay attention.
The doula idea is a great one. I wouldn't mind waiting around to go in though my hubby would. With someone with experience around though, he might feel more comfortable with not rushing to the hospital. Some friends have had horrible birth experiences (one of my friend's baby's was born apnic) and so I think the main hurdle is convincing him that birth is not a crisis, but is natural.
I'll ask the midwife next time about what exactly the hospital policy is, somehow I couldn't think of asking that at the time. Those appointments can be so rushed.
Thanks again!
I think your best bet would be to learn how the nurses/docs monitor you and your baby. If you can do intermittant monitoring, do it. If not, you can still walk about...insist on it. Your space is smaller though. If they are trying to push pit on you, but your baby's heart beat is doing ok, use that to tell them to wait. As long as you are doing ok and babies heart rate looks ok, and you stand your ground on that, I don't think they can force you to use pit. As long as babies heart beat looks ok, they don't really have much to stand on. Also, you can ask to try natural methods first. Wait to go into the hospital until you really have to concentrate through each contraction. Good luck!
As other posters have recommended, a doula is an excellent resource before, during, and after the birth for both you and your husband. Before birth, she'll learn your wants and needs and may suggest further preparation based on your specfic experience. During labor and birth, she'll be that compassionate yet objective and informed advocate who can help you navigate hospital protocols and decision-making. Doulas often support women immediately post-partum and some even offer at-home services as you transition to life with a newborn.

Best to you and your family.

www.UrbanCrunchyMama.com
www.UrbanCrunchyMama.com/blog

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service