Looks like my placenta is somewhat attached to the cervix and I am most likely looking at a c-section. After months of preping for NCB, I feel out of control and very upset. I was hoping that some of you who have had past c-sections might be able to help me out with some information. I don't even know where to begin, but if empowerment is key (and I believe it is) then I need to start some serious reasearch, so I feel a little more in control. (...just as soon as I stop crying...)

UPDATE 9/14: Eeek! We had the 36wk u/s and the placenta is still very low, but we got the thumbs up to go natural! I am so excited! I am even dilated a little and no bleeding! They did estimate Axel to be about 8#......and my OB didn't bat an eye, she said if she could push out a 10 pounder, anyone could! (I was expecting the induction topic to come up.)

Thank you for all of the information and kind comments. I now know a lot more about c-sections, so if I do have to face that for some unforseen reason, I feel a lot more prepared and less frightened. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!

Views: 165

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First of all, I want to say how sorry I am that you may not get the birth you want. Maybe the previa will move as you get bigger, you can always hope for that. Maybe someone can give you more info on that.

I planned for 9 months to have NCB at a local Birth Center with an awesome CNM. I was one week overdue and went to the hospital for a nonstress test and AFI(Amniotic Fluid Index.) My baby had no amniotic fluid around her so I was rushed in for an emergency c-section. I was in shock. I was so upset. My baby girl was not breathing and was rushed to the NICU because she had inhaled meconium. I finally met her 4 hours later and she was perfectly healthy. Had we waited a few more minutes, she would have died. Even though she is a happy, healthy almost 1year old, I was devastated at our birth experience. I cried for 2 weeks straight about it. I know that some of that is hormones, but I also know that a lot of it was the loss of the experience.
I'm not sure what information you are wanting. If you do end up with a c-section, you still can have some control. You should make a birth plan. You can tell them that you want to hold and nurse your baby ASAP. I would not let my baby leave my room with out my husband going with her, when they wanted to measure and weigh her. I didn't want them to give her unneccesary injections (Hepetitis B.)
I hope someone else can give you some more info.
Thank you. I should feel blessed that I have time to prepare, but it also feels like I'm mourning the birth I wanted. It sounds like you went through that as well. I am glad that your little girl is doing so well!
I guess what I am looking for are those things to put on the birth plan and/or discuss with my OB and anestheseologist. Things that maybe they do that aren't nessesary......extra drugs? procedures? I really don't know. We knew this was an issue at 20 weeks, but were so confident that it would move on up. Now we're past 30 weeks and it's exactly the same. I called a midwife in my area that I trust and she even said it's probably not going to change at this point.
Thank you for sharing your story.
My sister had the same thing happen. She ended up having a c-section, but not every one ends up with that. If you are still early on in pregnancy, your uterus is still growing and the placenta may not be covering the cervix in a little while. That said, empowerment is all about informing yourself. Learn about c-sections, what they entail, ect. It helps so much to be prepared for it. I also like to remind people that just because they are having a c-section does not mean they are not giving birth. Of course a normal vaginal delivery is optimal, but you are still becoming a mom and a family. Sometimes it even helps to think of it as a cesarean birth:)
I was a L&D nurse for over 20 years and a Childbirth Educator for over 10 years.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation - you will and should move through the stages of grieving; that is absolutely normal.
You are receiving sound advice from participants. Learn about cesarean birth, go to classes - there are many different philosophies to choose from so find an educator/program that fits with your values and philosophy.
You can call the hospital where you anticipate giving birth and ask to speak with the Nurse Manager of the Birthing Unit - she can connect you with someone (or she may provide this herself) who can give you a tour of the unit and answer questions. Don't be afraid to ask! This is your birth and you are the consumer of their services. Ask about their 'routines'. what happens when you're admitted to the hospital, go through this like you're interviewing someone - because you are. Nursing and Medicine need to remember we're here to provide care with you and for you, Not TO you. Research and find what feels comfortable to you - Will your baby stay with you in the recovery area? When will your partner be able to come into the operating room? Can your partner/support person hold your baby immediately after birth? What types of medications are used for anesthesia? How do they affect you? Baby? The more you know, the more you can feel in control. Remember too, birth is not a perfect process - Our goals are always a healthy mom and a healthy baby. Work closely with your provider to establish that trust and confidence so you don't second guess yourself after your birth.
Good Luck to you. Be positive! Sometimes the placenta will 'migrate' as your pregnancy progresses. Do some mental imagery while meditating and visualize the placenta moving; the mind is very powerful.
Take Care and keep asking questions!!!!!
First big hugs, I'm so sorry you are not going to get he birth experience you hoped for. After 4 quick & intervention free births my 5th was a c-sec due to being breech. Not one part of her was below my hips- she had wedged herself up under my right rib!

I gave myself the time to mourn the loss of the birth experience I had wanted & spoke to a few very close friends about my fears- the biggest being my fear that I would I not feel as connected to this baby since I had felt so empowered by my other births. I do feel lucky that it was not an emergency c-sec & I had time to make plans & talk with my OB. I really think made the c-sec a whole lot better. I created a birth plan that included having DH there the whole time- not just bringing him after the spinal. We had an Ipod with us with music I wanted on it. Our babies have all been delivery surprises, so we also requested that we got to announce the gender not the Drs or nurses. So even though the rest of the OR knew before I could see it was a girl, I got to say the words. Also after she was born & had a quick check over & was weighted she was right on my chest. It was less than 5 min from being born to being with me.

Another thing I really mourned was not having my older kids at the birth-they have been at the birth of all their younger sibs. To try & make it as much of a family birth as possibly, they all came to the hospital about an hour before my scheduled time, got to say their good byes to my belly & then waited with a close friend in my room. I went from my room, to the OR & back to my room for recovery. I was gone a little over an hour. DH walked in with DD & they all got to meet her at the same time & we unwrapped her & let our 2nd oldest announce the gender & the youngest put the hat on the new baby as is our family tradition. We had a great nurse & she re-weighted & did the footprint in our room for the kids to watch. There was never a moment that DD was out of my sight.

My hospital did require that if I wanted DD in the room with me that there always be another *adult* since I was recovering from surgery & couldn't get out of bed to get baby- i'm sure it was liability reasons on their part. Since I knew ahead of time I was able to schedule friends to be with me 24 hours a day the 2 days I was there- I had a great circle of women friends who cared for me. My best friend actually flew in from 1/2 across the country & spent the night both nights in the hospital with me so DH could be at home with the other 4. She spoon fed me jello @ 2am while I nursed DD & she made me rest when the baby slept. Truthfully she took better care of me than DH would have because he would have been worried about the other 4 at home.

I wouldn't pick a c-sec & I think the women who schedule medically unnecessary ones are nuts-the recovery is hard. But I can honestly say I feel like it was the best experience possible in the situation I was given. And I feel just as connected & bonded to my dear Penelope as I do her older siblings, maybe even more so because I know she is my last.

HTH
Hypnosis can help a placenta move, so look for a certified hypnotherapist in your area. Also, visualization is incredibly powerful, so visualize the placenta moving up. Do this as often as you can every day. A lot can change in 10 weeks. I'm a certified Hypnotist and HypnoBirthing childbirth educator, and I'm aware of many cases where placentas have moved through hypnosis and visualization. Also, as your uterus continues to grow, the placenta can move. Imagine putting a black dot on a balloon and then blowing it up...the black dot moves as the balloon expands. Good luck!
I have had 2 VBA2C so be encouraged. I also had previa at the beginning of my last 2 pregnancies but it resolved itself, sometimes as you grow it moves. Again, my first 2 births were c-sections and very disappointing but I had 2 all natural births with my last 2 children. my advice would be to make sure you trust your Dr and find a DR/Midwife that supporst vbac If you plan on having more children. Also make sure that your wishes for your baby are clear on your birthplan since you may not be able to nurse for about 1 1/2 hours afterwards. No paci's sugar water, etc, if those are your wishes. Line up help to be with afterwards,not alone because it is hard to rise up in bed and to get baby from bassinet since they are at an ackward height. May God Bless your birth!
MishaLee ~ I think I sent you a message meant for Lorri. I'm so sorry for what you are going through. I've had 2 c-sections after hopes of NCB and VBAC. I'm hoping for a VBA2C in the future and now really feel it's possible after seeing all the women on here who have achieved it. I hope you get the birth you want. You've gotten some great advice!
As a registered midwife, I've seen many previas (even complete previas that cover the entire cervix) and not a single client of mine ended up with a c/section. Almost all placentas migrate up with the growing uterus and are not a threat in labour. Not sure how far along you are in your pregnancy, but make sure you get an ultrasound prior to your planned c/section. If the placenta is over 3 cm (about 1.5inches) away from the cervix, there should be no problems at a beautiful vaginal delivery.

Good luck!
Eeek! We had the 36wk u/s and the placenta is still very low, but we got the thumbs up to go natural! I am so excited! I am even dilated a little and no bleeding! They did estimate Axel to be about 8#......and my OB didn't bat an eye, she sid if she could push out a 10 pounder, anyone could! (I was expecting the induction topic to come up.)

Thank you for all of the information and kind comments. I now know a lot more about c-sections, so if I do have to face that for some unforseen reason, I feel a lot more prepared and less frightened. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!
You have every right to mourn. After a recent hospital visit, I read on my records that there is an anterior placenta previa. I'm still early, so we'll see if it moves.

But having a different outlook might help you overcome your feelings of disappointment.

Make the *choice* "I am doing this so that my baby and I stay safe."
My mother had a placenta previa with me, and didn't know it until she ended up bleeding and had to drive herself to the hospital! She had a very real danger of losing me, or getting dangerously low on blood herself!
So make the mental choice "i'm doing this for me and my baby"..

Maybe you can talk to your doctor about how to make this c-section easy on you emotionally.. holding baby immediately, keeping baby with you, or partner. sutures instead of staples..
there are also "c-section plans" out there that you can discuss with your doctor. here's an example of one i've found...
http://messageboards.ivillage.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=iv-ppcsec...

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service