I am still nursing my 10 month old and am 5 weeks pregnant? Anyone know anything about nursing while pregnant?

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's totaly possible! It shuldn't effectyour child or your pregnancy if you nurse while pregnant. Many mothes have done it successfully and have even gone on to Tandem nurse (both children at the same time)

The only ting i would suggest is to make sure you ae eating enough for 3. We all know that a breastfeeding moter needs an extra 500 calories a day... ad that a preganant mother needs about the same (give or take)

so eat frequently, high in protien and vitimins as well as drink alot. Just to make sure you aren't becoming dehydrated.
I nursed my middle child while I was pregnant with my 3rd. He was 8 months old when I became pregnant for the 3rd time.

All I know is that it is believed that if you had problems with early labor in any earlier children, you should not breastfeed during pregnancy. But, if not, you should be fine.

I still breastfeed both boys (now 2 1/2 and 10 1/2 months). I liked that I didn't have to quick wean one for the other.

What specific questions did you have about pregnant nursing?
I drink TONS of water, so that's the good news. I live in the desert so I don't have a choice! :)
I am planning to nurse him as long as he will. He is weaning to table food though, so I don't think it will be too much longer. Thank you guys for your advice. I love this site.
I never imagined myself nursing two at once, but when I became pregnant with my son, my 14-month-old daughter was still nursing. I just kept nursing and figured she'd wean herself at some point during my pregnancy. I went to LLL meetings and lots of other women were also nursing while pregnant, which was nice to get support. We never had any issues, other than a bout of thrush (yuck!) at the beginning of my pregnancy. She never weaned. Now, she is almost 3 and my son is almost a year old and they still both nurse. Personally, I'm feeling completely done with my older daughter and working really hard to wean her. Its just time. But, I just wanted to encourage you that it is totally doable! Good Luck!
From what I have read there is not problem with it you could even breastfeed your newborn and your toddler at the same time! The human body is so Amazing!
There should be no problems what so ever continuing to nurse while being pregnant. My first son was 10 months old when I got pregnant with my second. My supply took a nose dive toward the end of my first trimester and he self weaned but many babies/toddlers continue to nurse through the dip in supply. I also had hyperemesis with my second son which contributed a lot to my loss of supply. I am still nursing my second son (almost 21 months) and we are TTC our third. I will continue to nurse him for as long as he wants.
Your milk might & probably will change (become more newborn friendly) at around 5 months & many little ones self-wean at that point. Nursing through pregnancy is almost always perfectly safe & many moms end up tandem nursing & loving it. :)
Nursing will not make you miscarry. If you have a history of preterm labor its not the best idea but in a normal, low-risk pregnancy, continuing to nurse is completely safe. The unterine contractions caused by orgasm are way more intense and I don't see anyone advising pregnant women to avoid those!
I'm 18 weeks pregnant and still nursing my 19-month-old toddler. I'd be very happy for him to wean, but he shows no sign of that and gets frantic if I try to limit feedings. My main issues at this point are lack of sleep (he still nurses several times during the night), discomfort while nursing laying down and some nipple soreness while nursing laying down. I know there's still milk there, because sometimes he'll drool a bunch after nursing. :)

My OB suggested I wean by 20 weeks, but from everything I've read, there's no need, since I have no history of pre-term labor. The following article has many links to scientific research on the subject. Scroll down to the section "The Well-Protected Uterus".

http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/articles/bfpregnancy_safety.html
Great link. Kellymom always has excellent info.
Krista Harris said:
I never imagined myself nursing two at once, but when I became pregnant with my son, my 14-month-old daughter was still nursing. I just kept nursing and figured she'd wean herself at some point during my pregnancy. I went to LLL meetings and lots of other women were also nursing while pregnant, which was nice to get support. We never had any issues, other than a bout of thrush (yuck!) at the beginning of my pregnancy. She never weaned. Now, she is almost 3 and my son is almost a year old and they still both nurse. Personally, I'm feeling completely done with my older daughter and working really hard to wean her. Its just time. But, I just wanted to encourage you that it is totally doable! Good Luck!
Hi Krista, I just saw your post and had similar issues with my second son at that age. A friend suggested having a "Big Boy Party" which made all the difference. We talked about it for 7 days leading up to it - about all the great things around being "big" (jump higher, older boy toys, soccer lessons, his big brother's hand me down car seat etc.) and that it would mean saying goodbye to the "little boy" things, like mummy's milk, diapers (even though they were long gone), his smaller clothes, any old toys he was done with etc. He was so excited about all the Big things that it helped him transition. On the day, we had a small ritual ceremony, some cake, a "little boy candle" that he blew out and a "big boy candle" that he got to light. You can make up whatever works for your own situation...but the ceremony created a right of passage. Good luck! Kim
Some women find that the sharp increase in estrogen toward the end of the first trimester causes a dramatic drop in milk supply. Also, the hormone fluctuations can alter the consistency and the taste of the milk. However, if your baby continues to nurse successfully with no signs of dehydration or malnutrition, then there should be no consequences to the fetus. Nipple stimulation is only a labor inducer when your body isn't "used to it."

I tried to nurse all three of my children when I was pregnant with the subsequent one. I got prego with #2 when #1 was only 5 mos old. There is still a high demand for milk, here, and should be no alternatives (like juice or water) for dehydration at this age. My milk supply plummeted and he suffered, so I had to transition to formula, which he did very well. I never got engorged from cessation, because my supply was gone.

Number 2 was 10 mos old when #3 was conceived. He nursed just fine until he transitioned to soymilk/ricemilk at 12-13 mos. My supply dropped, but his demand wasn't really high anyways.

Number 3 was 9 mos old when #4 was conceived. She was a booby fiend! My supply died really quickly this time around, by the time she was 11 mos old in fact. She refused water, juice, formula, milk...anything but booby. Even though she was nursing HARD about 8 times a day, her wets were still down to maybe one per day. At this point, I knew she had to let go. We weren't going to make it. So I had to force the weaning process, because she refused alternatives as long as booby was available. She eventually picked up whole milk and water and her wets went back to normal rather quickly.

Just nurse on demand and watch for signs of dehydration. If you see none, there's no reason for you to stop.

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service