Hello... I'm 23 weeks along here and my baby has been diagnosed with Prenatal Hydronephrosis. Its a disfunction in the kidney uereters? I was told that usually it will spontaneously correct itself but that in some cases it can be a more serious disorder that will need require x-rays after birth, something called a VCUG that sounds horrible, and lots of follow ups. And if it doesn't resolve itself before birth then I won't be able to birth at home. Which means without my Midwife also......I'm trying not to stress out about it. But I can't help but wonder if this is casing my baby any pain in utero. Makes me so sad. This is my fourth baby, but I've not had to deal with anything like this before. Has anyone else heard of this, or been diagnosed with the same? Just wondering....

Views: 61

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My son was diagnosed with Hydronephrosis a few weeks after he was born. I assume he had in in utero as well. He went through quite a bit of testing and the VCUG as well. The way we found out he had it was that his hands and feet swelled up like little balloons. I don't know if that is a normal sign of it or not. They put him on antibiotics in case of infection and then checked him once every couple months or so to see if he had outgrown it. He outgrew it around 6 months or so and never had an infection or any problems urinating and he never seemed like he was in pain. He was the happiest baby and would only cry if he was hungry.
I would just take a deep breath and try to relax. They will probably do more ultrasounds and hopefully will be able to tell the severity of it. Most cases are mild to moderate. I hope this helps! Good luck with your pregnancy!
Thank you for your reply, Laura! I was beginning to think maybe this is REALLY rare.
I'm glad your little guy outgrew this and didn't seem to be affected by the condition.
I am having another ultrasound next weekend to monitor and see if the condition has changed for the better or worse. So, Its a waiting a game for now:) In the meantime I am drinking a ton of unfiltered cranberry juice, which tastes like wine a little bit! In my own head I think Im helping the baby's urinary system! Ha. we'll see.....
Thanks again for your kind words, It means alot.
hi! I know you posted this a long time ago, but I just found something cool that I thought I would pass on. I was reading the book "having twins" by Elizabeth Noble, and I found a section about Castor Oil packs. It says, "Castor oil packs can be used successfully for a number of conditions such as uterine bleeding, sore throats, bruises, and injuries, although it is not known how or why they work. Gladys McGarey, M.D., cites the case of a baby she delivered with a fine scar instead of a harelip and a cleft palate. The condition was apparently healed in the uterus when the castor oil pack was applied for bleeding."(Noble, 183).
I did a little poking around after I read that and it turns out a bunch of people don't recommend it during pregnancy, but you might want to look into it further, especially with this group called Women-to-Women from Yarmouth, Maine. They might have some more details about using castor oil packs during pregnancy and how the whole thing works. The link is www.womentowomen.com. I just thought, well, harelip and kidneys aren't the same, but you never know, it could be something to help your little guy! God Bless you!

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service