PUPPP - The itchy belly rash that appears in late third trimester (for some unlucky women!)

As my stretch marks started to appear in my 37th week, I noticed my belly getting increasing itchy. I thought it was just the skin stretching. Then little raised bumps (like a heat rash) started to appear on my belly. ITCHY! Then they appeared on my thighs, now on the back of my legs, my ankles, my hands, OH MY!

The first few restless nights I tried everything: baking soda paste, oatmeal paste, Aveeno lotion, zinc oxide lotion, EVERYTHING. I knew something was up.

Then I started reading up--it is clear that I have Pruritic Uticarial Papules and Plaques of Pregnancy (PUPPP), which mostly affects first-time moms, apparently.

I found some links that were REALLY helpful online. Here's the most helpful one of all:

http://www.tcinternet.net/users/kritzerburke/naomi/PUPPP.htm

I got the Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap and have been washing my belly and legs with it as often as needed. It definitely stops the itching and dries out the bumps.

Importantly, I've also started taking dandelion root pills. Apparently it takes 5 days for these to kick in and actually make the rash go away. I'm on day 3, and I'm counting down the minutes to day 5!

If any midwives out there have something they would like to contribute in terms of remedies or relief, please send it along!

I've included some pics for your reference!

Views: 2197

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ohhh looks so itchy...avoid hot showers and baths, which will make the itching worse. Use only lukewarm/cool showers and mild soap and be sure to rinse it off well and towel off lightly. Then slather on an unscented, unmedicated, refrigerated moisturizer of choice. Wear loose light-cotton clothing and avoid going out in the heat of the day, since heat can intensify the itching.

What also works the most for many women (so sorry it did not work for you) are cool/lukewarm oatmeal baths or oatmeal wet soaks applied directly to the belly/other areas. You can buy these oatmeal bath preparations in any drugstore.
Looking forward to seeing how the dandelion root pills work...please keep us posted.

Great link and many moms have to experiment and find which of these work best for them.
My wife has it now. Oatmeal baths doesn't seem to work too well for her. I guess this maybe an issue where every woman is a bit different. We're trying peppermint and lavender oil, a few other things. Will try to find out what works the best and for how long, like the link.
I delivered on Friday--it is now Sunday and the rash is FINALLY starting to go away. Caladryl helped tremendously, especially when used alternately with the Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap. We ordered the PUPPS cream and soap from RainierSoapworks, but it never came! So, you might try that if you just are getting started.
Being a research assistant, I started to review some articles. One of the articles mentioned that PUPPP may have a duration of about one month, but birth does tend to make it clear within a week (Powell, Dervan, Wayte, O'Loughlin, 2006, Journal of the European Academy of Dermtology and Venereology, 6(2), 105-111). I think this may be the best answer since the stories of "miracle" cures tend to be along that time line, but the cure is highly inconsistent among different pregnancies.

However, cool baths tend to relieve the itch. My wife likes peppermint oil since it will give a decently long lasting cooling effect. I guess my main advise is to try and figure out what works best for your own releif, subject to protecting the baby's health. Hopefully it does go away in a month.
I had pupps with my 5th pregnancy. At first i thought it was hives and then quickly realized that it was more than that...near the last two weeks it was covering my stomach and came and went over the rest of my body.

I got to the point of not being able to wear clothes and the things that helped me was baking soda paste 2 times a day rinsing off with the coolest water I could stand, I did use peppermint oil (DoTerra brand) which was good at night to let me get to sleep and I took dandelion root, garlic and some homeopathic, but I can't say that i saw any type of change with the last three...it just made me feel good that I was doing everything possible to get rid of it.

After the baby was born, I still had periodic itching but the main problem, my stomach stopped almost immediately and within 2 weeks I didn't have any more itching bouts.

I have a high tolerance for pain and this was probably the worse ongoing pain I had ever experienced. I told my friend the one day "I would wish this on my worse enemy"...

I hope your baby makes it's way into the world very soon!!

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service