I can't believe there are no discussions on VBACs yet...any who...

I'm currently pregnant with my 3rd baby and I'm curious if any one out there has run into problems having a VBAC even if you have had a successful one in the past?? The reason I ask is becasue the hosptial I may deliver at this time does not participate in them.

I'm sure they will try to talk me out of it just like the last time so I'm looking for as much help/support.

Thanks

Views: 295

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have no problem helping clients deliver VBAC, at home. My first two VBAC clients were 10 yrs apart, then I started getting VBAC clients one every couple of yrs, Now the VBAC calls are coming in left & right! Its sad that So many hospitals are not doing VBAC's anymore! But I know why. It used to be, "once a C/S always a C/S" according to AMA, so that's what most doctors did, of coarse C/S were a lot rarer then, so it didn't come up that often. But in 1981 (or maybe 1982) The government funded a study of vagina vs repeat C/S. it concluded that "in most cases, VBAC was safer". The docs ignored the study, but midwives listened, and started doing VBAC's. By 1990 or so, the docs were seeing that they were losing clients to midwives, so they finally started doing VBAC's. Trouble is the were very fear driven, not quite trusting the procedure, but not wanting to be loosing all these clients... so they were inducing labor "before baby gets too big". Before this the uterine rupture rate was 0.5% to 2% depending on the type of incision. Once the docs started doing them the rupture rate rose to 5% -10%. I have even done VBACs at 42 weeks with no ruptures, because I don't induce, not even herbally. My d-i-l has had 4 VBACS , the last two at home, because her hospital stopped doing them. She had a 11 lb 5 oz baby after just 5 hrs of labor & a 11 lb 8 oz baby in 7 hrs! Pitocin & Cytotec rupture uterus' not big babies!
www.ican-online.org is a great resource for info and options you may not ever hear of otherwise. There are ladies there who have fought and won to get VBACs in hospitals, plus many options to avoid having to "fight" at all to VBAC. There are women on that list who are nurses, women who are scientists, women who have had VBACs after many sections, and women who have been the statistic, who had the complications everyone fears, and they can all tell it like it is, so that you can get real info to base your decisions on.

Good luck and blessings!
I will check it out. Thanks!
Meg Richards said:
www.ican-online.org is a great resource for info and options you may not ever hear of otherwise. There are ladies there who have fought and won to get VBACs in hospitals, plus many options to avoid having to "fight" at all to VBAC. There are women on that list who are nurses, women who are scientists, women who have had VBACs after many sections, and women who have been the statistic, who had the complications everyone fears, and they can all tell it like it is, so that you can get real info to base your decisions on.

Good luck and blessings!
I would love to deliever at home!! My 1st VBAC was a success but I could feel the hospitals tension. Every 2 seconds they were asking me if I wanted the epi incase of emeergency...very annoying. I just need to find a mid wife in upstate NY.

Marlene Waechter said:
I have no problem helping clients deliver VBAC, at home. My first two VBAC clients were 10 yrs apart, then I started getting VBAC clients one every couple of yrs, Now the VBAC calls are coming in left & right! Its sad that So many hospitals are not doing VBAC's anymore! But I know why. It used to be, "once a C/S always a C/S" according to AMA, so that's what most doctors did, of coarse C/S were a lot rarer then, so it didn't come up that often. But in 1981 (or maybe 1982) The government funded a study of vagina vs repeat C/S. it concluded that "in most cases, VBAC was safer". The docs ignored the study, but midwives listened, and started doing VBAC's. By 1990 or so, the docs were seeing that they were losing clients to midwives, so they finally started doing VBAC's. Trouble is the were very fear driven, not quite trusting the procedure, but not wanting to be loosing all these clients... so they were inducing labor "before baby gets too big". Before this the uterine rupture rate was 0.5% to 2% depending on the type of incision. Once the docs started doing them the rupture rate rose to 5% -10%. I have even done VBACs at 42 weeks with no ruptures, because I don't induce, not even herbally. My d-i-l has had 4 VBACS , the last two at home, because her hospital stopped doing them. She had a 11 lb 5 oz baby after just 5 hrs of labor & a 11 lb 8 oz baby in 7 hrs! Pitocin & Cytotec rupture uterus' not big babies!
Amy Simpson said:
Thank you and good luck to you when ever you have your 2nd. Start researching now to save time during your pregnancy.

Did you have a planned section or way it an emergency??

Mine was an emergency c-section...they said I stopped dilating...still believe the epidural, which I didn't ask for, messed up my labor...I was doing just fine breathing through the pain, but the anesthesiologist said it was to help me get some sleep, so I let him give it to me...regret that choice now
Amy Simpson said:
I wish I could find a good midwife here but NY is slowing starting to get rid of them!!! It such a shame.
Amy, check out the discussion I just posted about NYS dropping the written practice agreement :)
HI! i've had 2 vbacs. all 3 of my kids have been born at diff hospitals due to vbac bans. i drove 1 hr 1 way for my 2nd vbac.

don't let them talk you out of it. because you have already had a vbac, your success rate is very high.
If your Dr. refuses to give you a chance find one that will. If noone will find a midwife. it's your body, your baby, and your choice
Yea...I know all about the drive. I had to drive an hour for my vbac and it looks like if I deliver in NY I will be doing it again. The place my insurance wants me to go wont do vbacs.
Navessa said:
HI! i've had 2 vbacs. all 3 of my kids have been born at diff hospitals due to vbac bans. i drove 1 hr 1 way for my 2nd vbac.

don't let them talk you out of it. because you have already had a vbac, your success rate is very high.

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service