Should Pregnant Women Be Routinely Tested for Thyroid Problems?

I came across this article today:

It's pretty compelling, and after reading it I think it would be a good idea for pregnant women to be tested for thyroid problems.  I've never had any thyroid problems personally that I'm aware of, but I haven't been tested either.  The article states that thyroid problems have been linked to such complications as miscarriage, high blood pressure, preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, premature delivery and low birth weight babies.  These are common complications, and I'm always looking for ways to help women stay low risk.

I'm skeptical about unnecessary testing and screening during pregnancy, and I think each woman should weigh her options carefully before deciding which to do.

I'm curious if any of you have had thyroid problems and how it's affected your pregnancy if at all.  Do you think routine thyroid tests during pregnancy would be a good thing?

Tags: pregnancy, routine, screening, test, thyroid

Views: 152

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just thought I'd add a little update: I received a call last week from my midwives' office to tell me that my thyroid hormone was LOW and I needed to start Synthroid! Crazy, huh? After I read this post and did a little research, I mentioned it to them, and they reassured me that they always check thyroid function in the first trimester. Glad you posted this! Ha ha!

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service