This is my first pregnancy and two days ago I had my 37th week exam. My chosen midwife is currently on vacation so I had to see a different midwife. I have had absolutely no issues during this pregnancy - it has been a dream. However, this substitute midwife was very alarmed by how much weight I had gained and how large I was measuring at this point. He suspects the baby may weigh as much as 9 pounds currently and is worried about me going to my due-date or later and having to deal with shoulder dystocia. He decided to schedule an ultrasound for my 38th week check-up and if he is right, he wants to induce right away. My chosen midwife is not back from her vacation until after this ultrasound and I am not quite sure how to handle the situation from here. I have been planning on having a completely natural childbirth and really want to avoid induction with any sort of pitocin or other drug. Any ideas?

Views: 116

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

wow! this is from a midwife? sounds like very "OBish" behavior. Remember, you don't have to do anything that doesn't feel right to you. If this midwife is pushing induction, I'd get another opinion from a different midwife. Seems odd if your midwife hasn't said a word about how much weight you've gained and all of a sudden this new person who has never seen you up until now is all of a sudden saying you've gained too much weight....very suspicious.
Both of my babies were big. My first was born two days after my due date and she was 10lbs. My second came 20 days after my due date, born at home, and she was 10lbs. 10oz

I had shoulder dysocia with my first, but that was because I was lying on my back, chained to th ebed with an epidural.
My second was born at home in the bathroom and hallway. I was on my hands and knees and she came out no problem.

Being in any other position beside being on your back will help to open up your pelvis to allow room for the baby to move down.

You don't have to get the ultrasound, and even if you do, you don't have to go with an induction.

Check out this blog(Marvelous Kiddo) to read more on Pit to Distress . Marvelous Kiddo
O/T but thank you for posting the Pit to Distress link. That is just appaling, but unfortunately, it doesn't take much imagination to see how it happens...
Hello Kayla,

I am a natural childbirth instructor in The Bradley(r) Method, and while not a trained medical professional, I can tell you that ultrasounds are notoriously inaccurate in predicting a baby's weight (as well as other things, too!). I also second the opinion voiced below, that it is highly suspect that suddenly this new practitioner has an issue with your weight gain, when your regular provider has not mentioned it. If you have suddenly gained a lot of weight and are suffering from sudden, extreme swelling and/or headaches, that could indicate a complication, but it sounds like his only concern is your baby's size. His desire to "induce right away" after your 38th week check-up is disturbing. The length of the average pregnancy is 41 1/7 weeks; the risks to your baby of inducing could mean lung immaturity and respiratory problems. I urge you to read Henci Goer's book "A Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" to learn more about induction.

When does your midwife return? Can't he wait for this person, for a second opinion? If this practitioner continues to pressure you or use scare tactics, I would seek out another provider altogether. Without a compelling medical reason to induce (and fear of a big baby based on an ultrasound is not a compelling medical reason), the risks to the baby are significant and may outweigh the benefits.

Good luck to you!
Thank you very much for all the advice! I definitely plan to tell this midwife that I am not willing to use any drug induction. If I reach 41 weeks and my original midwife has concerns, I will re-address the situation. Again, thank you for all of the comments/information - I appreciate it!
Ultrasounds are inaccurate, and big babies do come fine. Shoulder dystocia is an issue and can be a problem, but I've seen it with six lb babies. Stay on your hands and knees during pushing and this should help minimize the risk. Keep in mind there are risks for having an early baby also. Talk to this midwife and ask him for research to back up his stance. Ask him why the risks for having a shoulder dystocia out weigh the risks for having an early baby. That said, an ultrasound may not be a bad idea, because there could be other issues going on...like too much fluid.
I had my 4Th baby 10 days late...he weighed 9lbs 7 oz. I am 5 foot 2 inches,120 pounds.
He came so fast,my husband delivered him on our bed. Doctor arrived 15 minutes later....
Perfect.
Remember,induction ups your chances of a c-section.
Good luck,follow your gut!
Moms rarely grow babies that they can't birth vaginally (except in the case of gestational diabetes). And true shoulder dystocia is also rare and usually fixed by the hands and knees position when delivering. It also has not as much to do with the size of the baby, but rather the postition that the baby is in as it enters the birth canal. And the amount of weight you have gained is not a true indicator of how much your baby weighs. I lost 33 pounds with my pregnancy and my best friend gained 57 pounds. We both had 6 pound babies. Measurements and ultrasounds can also be off at the end of a pregnancy. Unless there is a true medical reason, induction should not be offered, especially not before 41-42 weeks.
Wow, that's pretty scary! I'm so so so sorry you have had this fear instilled into your beautiful, capable body.

Where I live in Montreal, there was a trial shoulder dystocia screening program. One of the progressive OBs got really upset that ultrasound technicians were sometimes ordering this screening without checking with them first.
When the creator of this product did a presentation at the hospital, the aforementioned OB said, "I don't mean to embarass you, but how many of our patients that were rated as high risk for shoulder dystocia by your program did we send to surgery?" The woman looked at her stats and said, "wow, only half!" The doc then said, "and look again. How many of those "high risk" births end up with shoulder dystocia?" The woman resignedly uttered, "none".

My doula partner saw a 12 pound 8 ounce baby born quick and easy, without a tear, despite everyone telling the mother disaster would most certainly be upon her and her baby.

Over 16 years as a doula, I have seen huge babies shoot out of the most unlikely of women.

If you want to reduce any risks, avoid epidural, and don't give birth on your back. Check out Ina May"s Guide to Childbirth to help you affirm to yourself that your body is not a lemon. Jeesh, 9 pounds isn't even all that big. Also, I have seen ultrasound be as much as 3 pounds off, almost always having over estimated.

Recently, there was a birth in our circle of clients in which the mother was told by her midwife, a family doc, and an osteopath that her pelvis was inadequate to birth a baby. She had a C-section. The second time around she saw an OB, who said that she didn't believe all that, that the ONLY way of knowing if a baby fits is to attempt labour. This woman just had a joyous VBAC through her "inadequate" pelvis.

A friend of mine was told by her midwife she couldn't take her on as a client because her baby was determined to be over 10 pounds. Nobody would help her have this baby. So she did it on her own. Easily, I might add, and yes, the baby was over 10 pounds. Not that I'm recommending unassisted birth, but faith in the stretchiness of your bones will go far in helping you open.

Don't believe the hype.

Good luck!
Lesley
hi kayla!
at 34 weeks, we were told that my baby had a "big head" and was in the 90th percentile for head and weight. he was born 6lbs13oz, 18 3/4 inches and a head in the 25th percentile.
if i were u, i would hold off on making any decisions until ur midwife is back.
trust ur body. ur not going to make a baby that is too big for ur body to birth. u were made to do this. wait until ur baby is ready to come.
best of luck.
My neighbor was induced at 38 1/2 WGA because her OB also told her that the baby "was looking way too big" and she "didn't like big babies". My neighbor consented to induction, and delivered (uneventfully, thank God!) a petite little 6 lb 4 oz. baby girl yesterday! Any smaller, and that baby may have ended up in the NICU!
Sheesh...
my daughter was born at a birth center with a midwife i had 4 ultrasounds 2 at the center and 2 at a 4d ultrasound place that my husband and i chose to do for fun and only the 2 at the center said my daughter would be big which had me completely scarred as i wanted no epidural and did not want to tear or have to have an episiotomy, my midwife however never was worried about how big my daughter was i guess i was measuring exactly like i should have i had my daughter at 37 weeks she was 6lbs 9 0z 17 inches i had a water birth and when her head was out i had to stand up because her shoulders got stuck so like someone else said in another rely shoulder dystocia can happen at any time regardless of how big the baby is hope all works for you the way you wish

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service