Very Interested in Home Births, Natural Delivery, etc. but SCARED

Hi everyone! I am new to this site but have seen The Business of Being Born probably twenty times and love it! I immediately felt the need to share the video with all of my girlfriends, expecting or not, in order to educate them on the birthing process and their right to choose. I am a huge advocate for letting the body do what it was made to do naturally.

My husband and I have been married almost 1 year now (together for 4 years) and are planning to start trying to conceive our first child in January 2013. Having never been pregnant before I am intrigued and want so badly to have a natural birth but in the same aspect, I am scared. I know this is because of misinformed information and because doctors, OBGYNs, etc. push women to have hospital births.

I am looking for insight, encouragement and also anyone near the Charlotte, NC area who can provide local information. I know there is a natural birthing center in Rock Hill, SC which is very close.

Thanks in advance!!

Tags: Being, Born, Business, births, hospital, natural, of

Views: 219

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good Morning

I am Lenore Fasula I am a doula and advocate of natural birth, homebiths and water births;   I had three successful empowering homebirths and always believed in the power and knowledge of a woman's birth process when left to do it as God Intended without intervention.   My biggest suggestion is to understand the amazing knowledge of a woman's intuition and the body's ability to birth.  Read as much as you can on natural birth and definitely read Ina May Gaskin's books.

Any guestions please feel free to ask me and relax and enjoy the journey it will be an amazing adventure.

Birthing one baby at a time

Lenore Fasula

Thank you Lenore! I will definitely read Ina's books.

Good luck and many blessings with your pregnancy and birth.  there is a great link on facebook World midwives they post real good information.

Lenore

I'm new to this community as well and can identify with what you are saying - I want to eventually have a home water birth with one of my children - even though many people look at you like you are insane, which causes a lot of fear. I think it's insane what our culture does to pregnant women in hospitals, so I have come to a place where I don't really care about people's perceptions and I think the Business of Being Born documentary went a long way into normalizing home birth for many.

For my current pregnancy, I did choose to have a hospital birth with midwives instead for my first baby, but I definitely believe that home births are actually very safe. The hospital we chose is very supportive of natural birth, have rooms that are much more like birthing centers and really follow the lead of your provider, which in my case are amazing. I have blogged about my experiences and I don't know if you'll find them helpful, but your provider is so key in getting the birth you envision. I also have found that having a doula has made my life so much better and I completely agree with Lenore that Ina May Gaskin's book is amazing.

Good luck and keep us posted!

-Misty

Thanks so much for the insight Misty! I will definitely read your blog! :)

Hi Ashley,

Welcome to My Best Birth! I'm so glad you've become a member here and are asking questions. That is the best thing you can be doing, especially with your proactive approach!

My name is Kaitlin. I'm sort of a veteran member of this site. I think I was one of the first hundred or so people to create accounts way back in 2009 when it was created. I'd just given birth to my first child. At home. Like you, my husband and I watched BOBB, and shared it with our family and friends. When this site was created, I was on it like white on rice! So excited to be a member.

Anyway, I networked with other moms who gave birth at home. That was great because I only had one other friend who had also had a home birth. We shared our birth stories with each other. It was awesome. Many of them are still my friends today. 

To make a long story short, I gathered their home birth stories (with their permission) and posted them on a brand new website, Bring Birth Home.  Then I began writing about how to plan a home birth, create birth art, find a midwife and started blogging. Almost three years later, BBH is a force to be reckoned with! Our Facebook page has nearly 10,000 fans, and almost a thousand people have subscribed to our newsletter. 

I'd love to talk with you more. There are a lot of resources available at my site too. Best wishes!

Kaitlin

Hi Kaitlin! Sorry for my late response. I will check our your site and look forward to networking with new mothers on this site as well. Currently my husband and I are planning to start TTC early spring 2013 so I am feeding my brain with as much proactive information as possible. I just purchased one of Ina May Gaskin's books today. Is there any other "preparing your body or life for pregnancy" books you would recommend?

Hi Ashley,

I'm 7 months pregnant right now, living in Ontario, Canada, and planning a home birth with my midwife team.  I have 3 friends who between them have had 5 successful home births, which is what encouraged me to look into it in the first place.  Since becoming pregnant, I've done a lot of research on my own, PLUS my partner and I attended a home birth info night organized by the midwives' clinic, PLUS we took a prenatal class taught by a doula who has assisted at over 100 births in various scenarios.  Needless to say, I feel very confident in my decision!! 

One of my home birth friends told me that it makes a huge difference having people around you who can tell you that what's happening in labour (sorry, Canadian!) is normal.  She also said the hardest part is not the pain and not what your body is doing.  It's shutting your brain off.  The trick is to stop thinking so your body can do what it knows how to do.  My partner has been helping me learn hypnobirth techniques for this reason.  There are lots of different books, CDs and courses out there to access if you're interested (my midwives also swear by it as a great tool!).

Throughout my pregnancy, I've also found that working out regularly, chiropractic care and a good healthy diet have staved off all pregnancy "symptoms."  I had no morning sickness, I have no cravings or weird dreams (at least, not more than normal!) or major sleeping problems.  Since it's all been great so far, I would like to believe that all the preparation will help little Peanut get here as comfortably and peacefully as possible!  It's a marathon, so don't forget to do your stretches!

Hope this helps!

Devon

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service