Did your doctor or midwife really explain the risks of induction?
Each induction method carries with it certain risks…I’m just going to quickly list the risks of choosing to induce AT ALL….
• Prematurity – even slight prematurity carries risk…even a week or two!
• Cesarean – double the risk for a first time mother
• Uterine rupture – even if you’ve never had a cesarean!
• Fetal Distress – relatively common!
• Induced labors can be more painful – if you get drugs, then you must include the risks associated with those as well!
• Need for more interventions (IVs, continuous fetal monitoring, etc.)
along with all of the risks associated with those interventions
• Women are left believing that their bodies are not able to birth a baby.
• Asynclitic presentation of baby’s head
• Placenta abruptia
• THE LIST GOES ON
The above list isn’t specific to any one method…inducing you AT ALL carries these risks! There are other risks (such as prolapsed cord, amniotic fluid embolism..) that can be with individual types of
induction methods – but this list of risks comes with just the choice
to medically induce, regardless of method. It’s not a benign
procedure…and it’s not just a decision to give birth. You are
interfering in a process that has been perfected over thousands of
years and yes, the consequences can be grave. Please ask yourself – is
there a pressing reason to induce? Is there a medical issue causing it
to be unsafe to you or your baby to continue the pregnancy? I know you
are excited about meeting your baby, but are you willing to be patient
for just a few more days…aren’t you worth it? Isn’t your baby worth it?
This discussion was taken from Nurturing Hearts Birth Services