I was watching the beautiful interview with Ani DiFranco posted here and one of the things that stuck out to me was that she assosicates with the term "feminist" .  I have seen many winds and waves of feminism but am not sure there is any one definition for each and every woman.  Much like birth and many other facets of life, one size does not fit all.

My heart in this is trying to gain a closer understanding to what modern-day feminism is, what it means to individual women and what it means in our society, etc..

Please feel free to post your thoughts and experiences!!

Tags: feminism, feminist, freedom, women

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have always considered myself a feminist every since I learned the word. But most women people might disagree. I am a stay-at-home mom to an almost one-year-old who was born at home. I do all of the "traditional" roles in my home. I love cooking and consider cleaning up more of a joy than a chore. I plan to homeschool my children and we attend church as a family most every week. I am still exclusively breastfeeding my daughter and she has never been with a babysitter. The reason I consider myself a feminist is because I feel as though I am exercising my right to be the kind of mom and wife that makes me proud of myself. I consider it a privilege to be able
to be with my child 24/7 and feel as though I am making a choice that's best for my family. Others may view me as an oppressed woman, but I see myself as a liberated woman fulfilling my God-given
purpose. I think a feminist truly is someone who stands up for herself and her beleifs despite what society says is "right" and she also stands up for the rights of all women to
make informed choices for their own lives.
Good question, I look forward to seeing everyone's comments.
Great answer and so well put! BTW...I do what you to and I love it too :)
I feel the same way. I'm fairly traditional, but absolutely belief in the power of women to be a force for good in society. While I do work part time now, there was a time when I didn't, and I never considered myself less of a woman for that. I consider my husband and I to be equal partners...no one is the main decision maker in the family. In my opinion to be a feminist is to be a champion of everything that women can and should be. To understand that her role in society, whether it be staying at home and raising children or being a member of congress, is vitally important and should be respected.
I consider myself a feminist because I'm a strong, capable woman who is not afraid to stand up for what she believes and what is important to her. I also believe it's important to stand up for women's rights everywhere. It's not about men and women being the same. It's about men and women recognizing their differences and strengths and working together to utilize them in the best ways.
I hope that nobody is offended if I post this. I'm not trying to proselytize, I just find that this scripture from Proverbs 31 really is what being a woman, and a wife is. To me, it's true feminism, because it is embracing what I see as truly feminine.

A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
She gets up while it is still dark;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her servant girls.
She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
"Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all."
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Give her the reward she has earned,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

Isn't that beautiful?! I love the way she takes care of her husband and her children on the one hand, and on the other is busy trading and building vineyards. It applies to women in so many walks of life. So poetic too.

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service