I am wanting to be a baby wearer when my darling little girl arrives in July. She is my first so this is all new to me. Recommend your favorites please! TIA

Views: 11

Replies to This Discussion

I love my pouch and wrap for newborns..

My pouch is http://www.hotslings.com/

And my wrap is from http://www.gypsymama.com/

Both you can use from birth on up.. The wrap you can wrap a little tighter and has more carries but it does take some practice..

Good luck!!

Candice
You can make all your own wraps, etc at home. :) The only one I would spend money on is the Ergo.. but I haven't needed something that goes up to that weight limit because my daughter stopped wanting to be worn when she started getting mobile! :)

I had a ring sling from www.babymoonslings.com and I loved it! It was great. She loved it too! It was simple to use and easy to deal with and wasn't hot either!

I am looking into buying a wrap from Etsy.com. You get work at home mom made goods for half the price. These wraps are cute, and I have heard good things about them.
Well, it really depends. I honestly recommend getting more than one style, because they all have their pros and cons.

For comfort: Moby wraps or Mei Teis. Con of these are they have to be wrapped, so they are not a quick solution if you need to grab and go.

For function: Any sling like: Maya wrap, Ring Slings, *Insert store brand here*. They slip on quickly and the ring slings are adjustable. If you get something like a hot sling, it does not adjust like the others. Con of these is that the weight rests on one shoulder, not as comfy.

For durability: Ergo. I haven't tried one myself, but these carriers are great for dad and great for standing up to whatever they are put through since they have a frame. Con: pretty large, not easily stored like a piece of cloth.

Basically, assess your needs and price range and pick a couple.
And remember thebabywearer.com has a FSOT forum so you can get carriers even cheaper.. You can make your own wraps, VERY easy even if you don't know how to sew.. That was my first wrap, 6 yards of fabric from walmart and I rubber banded the ends and turned them inside out, no one ever knew..

Also youtube also has some great videos with different wraps and all if you are interested..

I have almost every carrier you can think of besides the Ergo.. I never bought an Ergo because I'm plus sized and wasn't sure if it was worth the money for me.. But I've found I like different carriers at different times in the baby's lives.
I use Kari Me slings and actaully now sell them because i love them so much! They are a wrap style sling made of cotton t-shirt like material... great and really versatile... you can breast feed in them on the go very discretely, have baby facing in, out, on the hip and on the back, they fit all shapes and sizes so Daddy can wear them too...and are great colours.
Also great value for money as they last until baby is about 35lbs and can be used from the day they are born. They are also suitable for premature babies.

Although I think these are amazing and most versatile, I would recommend that you try to meet up with some baby wearers and see if you can either borrow or try out one before you buy it, so you don't spend money on something you don't get on with
HTH
I'd suggest you check out
http://www.thebabywearer.com

I has all the info you could possibly need!
Thanks for all of the tips ladies! After checking out babywearers.com and make-baby-stuff.com I THINK I have enough tools and info to make 3 different types of carriers myself. I am making a wrap with directions I got from make-baby-stuff.com. NO sewing required! Well I'm going to sew a pretty fabric with a design on the front just to add to it.

The second is a ring sling made with a sheet I found at Goodwill for $3. I just need to get rings.

And the third is a pouch sling that someone on another site posted directions for. It DOES require sewing which I'm a little nervous about since I don't really sew but the directions make it seem pretty simple.

Wish me luck!!! :)
Good luck!!! Sounds fun!

Bobbi Cantrell said:
Thanks for all of the tips ladies! After checking out babywearers.com and make-baby-stuff.com I THINK I have enough tools and info to make 3 different types of carriers myself. I am making a wrap with directions I got from make-baby-stuff.com. NO sewing required! Well I'm going to sew a pretty fabric with a design on the front just to add to it.

The second is a ring sling made with a sheet I found at Goodwill for $3. I just need to get rings.

And the third is a pouch sling that someone on another site posted directions for. It DOES require sewing which I'm a little nervous about since I don't really sew but the directions make it seem pretty simple.

Wish me luck!!! :)
Good luck! Let us know how they turn out!

I need to purchase a carrier for my toddler - he's a little over 30lbs and 3ft tall. Mostly I want a carrier that I can take him hiking in (I have a hiking pack but it seems too big and bulky), but he also wants me to carry him more when we are out and about and I can only hold him so long! I've heard the mei tei (or a mom-made similar style) are good for toddlers... anyone wearing their toddler and loving their carrier want to tell me which style/brand to buy? :D

I actually tried on a shirt the other day that I couldn't buy because it fit my right arm okay, but was way too tight on my left arm! It was a considerable difference, hahaha. So weird. I try to carry him in my right arm a little more to even it out, but he prefers my left side, and my right arm simply can't hold him for very long at all!
I love my ringsling! It's great! I got it from www.zolowear.com I still use it almost everyday with my 20 month old and I'm 7months preg
I use the sleepy time wrap. I have tried every sling & this is hands down the best one. Its similar to the Moby but stretchier and way better. My 2 month old spends usually 3+ hours in it a day & it makes going out & grocery shopping a breeze!

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service