Since the recession or the economic down turn.

I have spoken to a few doulas who now are in dire straits because they are not getting enough work due to this economic down turn.

Some doulas have had to change their prices to accommodate mothers who really want a doula but could not afford to pay the full price asked.

I have spoken to friends and couples who have said they do not want to have any children at this moment, because they could not see what the future holds for them.

Some have lost jobs and homes.

Another view is that if so many people are now unemployed then the hanky-panky (smile) will rise due to boredom or fun. Just the fact that many have not had time to be with each other, this is now the 'quality time'.

So the birth rate will rise even more so.

How are doulas coping with this down turn?

Views: 1

Replies to This Discussion

As a woman whom wants to be a doula during this recession it makes it difficult. 1. Because I am currently “unemployed” and can’t afford the birth classes and training and 2. because I can’t find a doula in my area to “assist”. I have e-mailed probably 4-5 in my area and only received 2 replies. One of them is due this month and will be back to doulaing in the fall and the second one never got back to the second reply that I sent her. The thing is I’m not even asking for money I just want to learn from them and see how it all goes down….. I have also e-mailed a woman who hosts the local hypno birthing classes (a few times) and I haven’t herd a word from her….. It’s been almost two months…I don’t know if they aren’t getting any peeps because of the recession or what….. any who it’s lame.
Anna Hogsett said:
As a woman whom wants to be a doula during this recession it makes it difficult. 1. Because I am currently “unemployed” and can’t afford the birth classes and training and

Something worth considering: CAPPA, BirthArts and ICEA (I'm sure others do as well, these are just the ones I know off the top of my head) offer scholarships and grants, it wont cover the full cost, but give you a leg up. Most required reading is available at a local library, again reducing the cost.

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service