What detergent do you use for your CDs and what cycles do you use for washing?

Views: 31

Replies to This Discussion

Rockin Green is awesome! I do a cold pre rinse, followed by a long cycle in hot, and an extra cold rinse. If diapers are particularly stinky I will do a soak overnight with 3 scoops of Rockin Green. http://www.bananapeelsdiapers.com/catalog.php?item=1529
Thx! Is the Rockin Green in local stores....like Walmart?
Only online - unless you have a CD store near you. I also like Planet detergent, not sure if it is at walmart. Here is a great list of CD friendly detergents: http://www.bummis.com/media/detergent-information.pdf
I use regular Tide (about 1/3 of the normal amount). I do the same wash cycle and temp as Heather, but with an extra cold rinse at the end. Every now and then I do a bleach cycle with ONLY the inserts (I use pocket diapers). That keeps the smellies away. I hang dry the covers, and machine dry the inserts. In the summer I hang the covers outside.
I am a RG girl too, trying to get our local businesses to carry it so that I don't have to wait for mine in the mail!
Thx! I was hoping to use something that I could find locally.
if you order RG from cottonbabies.com, it ships free!
I use homemade detergent and it works great. I use 1/4 detergent for a cold wash, 1/4 detergent for a hot wash, and an extra rinse after, before drying. I dry mine in a machine because I don't have a clothes line set up yet and because the prefolds get really stiff if they're not run through the dryer.

Here's the recipe for the detergent I use:

* 1 bar of shaved bar soap
* 1/2 cup of borax
* 1/2 cup of washing soda
Thoroughly stir together for 5 minutes and enjoy the results!
(**note** you only need to use 1 tablespoon of this homemade detergent per load, although you can use 1 – 2 scoops for heavily soiled loads) Each batch is 16 ounces of powder and can wash 64 loads.

It's really inexpensive. You can find borax and washing soda in the detergent aisle at most grocery stores.
I have heard really bad things about using borax with cloth diapers. I used to make that same detergent, except that it was a liquid detergent (never used it on the diapers) but it made my daughter break out horribly. I already made a seperate dry detergent for the diapers, so I just began using that for everything. It is really easy:

44oz washing soda
16oz oxi clean
15oz baking soda
essential oil to your liking

If I used EO, I give the batch a few days to dry, but you only use 1 tbsp per load, 2 for a large load
I use Rockin' Green too, so far it has worked really well with our cloth diapers. I'd love to use a detergent I could pick up in the store, but the only 2 that have worked for us are Allen's Naturally and Rockin' Green. Everything else makes our diapers really stinky!
We just switched to Rockin' Green and so far we LOVE it!

I was having a hard time finding a detergent that I liked, then I realized it was my washing routine. Oops. 

Right now I really like the Bumgenius detergent. I use a large load, cold prewash. Then I switch to a small load, hot wash, small load warm rinse, large load cold rinse. I air dry my outsides and dry the inserts on high heat. 

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service