I want to start making my own diapers.  I have penty of OS for my daughter(19mo), so would like to make newborn sizes for when I have the next baby(not in the works, but hoping maybe next year).  I started using cloth when my daughter was 11mo.  So I've never used them on a newborn.  My questions are:  Should I find a pattern(haven't found any I really like yet), or just trace one of the diapers I have?  And, how do I size for a newborn?  If I trace would putting my OS at the smallest size work?   I would also love any tips and pointers you have!!!  Thanks!!

Views: 5

Replies to This Discussion

We used small prefolds and covers with our newborn, and they worked well. We tried using just prefolds at first, but he soaked through them so fast. I would suggest finding a pattern you like and going with that. I used Rita's Rump Cover pattern for my covers, and it's a one size pattern that fit even on my newborn because you fold or roll it to lower the rise. The pattern is designed to use pins, but I modified it by adding velcro. I think I would prefer to use snaps. Here's a blog post about the covers I made: http://mamasandbabies.blogspot.com/2009/07/cloth-diapers-ive-sewn.html. That post also has a link to Rita's Rump Cover pattern. As a word of advice, (learn from my mistake) don't use flannel on any part of a cover or outer shell. It soaks up the pee and wears out pretty quickly. I'm at the point that I need to replace my stash, and I'm hoping to use some tax refund money to get some Sunbaby diapers. I hope this helps :)
It did!!  Thanks Cherylyn!!

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service