I have a 2.5 month old who is a great nurser. My problem is that I had to start back to work this week and she will not take a bottle of expressed milk. Her father has tried different bottles, he tried a spoon, and he tried a medicine cup but she won't take it. I'm getting a little concerned because I think she is a little too young to wait for me. I tried taking a long lunch break and coming home to feed her because I was worried, but both days I tried, I couldn't wake her up, then she wants to eat as soon as I get home. I feel like she's been latched on almost constantly for the last 5 hours.

Also, baby has a cleft lip and will be having that repaired in July. While she is recovering from that she will not be able to suck at all because that will put too much pressure on the sutures. Then we will need to use a syringe to feed her. I worry that she won't accept that if she won't even take her milk as it is right now.

Sorry for rambling on, I'm just a tired worried mama! I WILL breastfeed my baby. I am fully committed to do so. I'm just out of ideas. Does anyone have any experience or ideas?

Thanks!

Views: 98

Replies to This Discussion

The syringe is actually easier for them to accept and doesn't cause nipple confusion. Since she is going to have to do it any way later, just try that now!!
Updade on Hungry baby. We tried the syringe and baby isn't liking it. I'm sad. I think I made a mistake going back to work. She needs me and I'm not even home.
Wow--this sounds like serious stuff. I would contact a lactation specialist on this one. Yes, she sounds too young to be waiting for you to come home from work--but happy to know that she is eating well once you are home!
I am sure you've explored all the possibilities of staying home and quiting work--with that said, I looked at our budget, cut back on everything I could--started buying less expensive grocery items, etc...and we are living on less than 1/2 of what we did before the baby. It isnt easy but well worth every minute of it.
I will keep you in my prayers and hope that this situation remedies itself very soon.
Keep us up to date.
I am sure Daddy has also tried holding her all different ways and walking while trying to feed her too?
http://www.clapa.com/faqs.php?topic_id=15

I found the gerber wide ortho bottle is much like the breast. Just make sure it's the new BPA fee ones ;)
Andrea Rocha said:
Updade on Hungry baby. We tried the syringe and baby isn't liking it. I'm sad. I think I made a mistake going back to work. She needs me and I'm not even home.
Marta Pagoria said:
Andrea Rocha said:
Updade on Hungry baby. We tried the syringe and baby isn't liking it. I'm sad. I think I made a mistake going back to work. She needs me and I'm not even home.

If you can't stay home just try to pump and keep trying different nipples/bottles. They will eat if they are hungry it's just getting used to something different. I don't think the syringe is the answer if you are working. Good luck
New update... took baby girl back to the surgeon for her check up and told him about the problem. He gave us some bottles called Soft Sipp that have thin tubing instead of a nipple. He seems confident that she'll take this just fine. Dad will try tomorrow morning while I'm working.

The doctor. is really impressed with baby because he said in all of the years he's been practicing, he's never seen a baby with this kind of cleft breastfeed so well. He said lots of moms pump and use a bottle, and a few try to breastfeed but find it too hard.

It just goes to show that when you believe that you and your baby will succeed, then you really will succeed.
You go girl!! I hope they work!!

Andrea Rocha said:
New update... took baby girl back to the surgeon for her check up and told him about the problem. He gave us some bottles called Soft Sipp that have thin tubing instead of a nipple. He seems confident that she'll take this just fine. Dad will try tomorrow morning while I'm working.

The doctor. is really impressed with baby because he said in all of the years he's been practicing, he's never seen a baby with this kind of cleft breastfeed so well. He said lots of moms pump and use a bottle, and a few try to breastfeed but find it too hard.

It just goes to show that when you believe that you and your baby will succeed, then you really will succeed.

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors











© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service