My husband and I just started trying for our second baby. I wanted to use a Midwife with our daughter but because of our insurance I went with an OB. After my experience with a OB in a hospital, I know I definitely want to plan a home birth. But I'm having problems finding a midwife. The only one I know of in the area is a Nurse-midwife who is part of the same practice as my OB. How did you ladies go about finding a midwife?  I don't personally know any homebirthers to ask so any pointers you ladies have would be great. Thanks

Views: 20

Replies to This Discussion

I found my midwife through friends and reading blogs of other people in my area that have homebirthed. I also asked my retiring midwife who she would suggest me to use in the future. I googled "midwife in *my area*" and got pretty much the same results.

I can give you references if you live in Ohio

I would contact the doula's in town.  They will know where to find them.  Also try a local chapter of ICAN (International Cesearean Awareness Network), or even LLL (Le Leche League). 

Depending on your location, many of us doulas/monrtices can point you in the right direction and give some great feedback with midwives we have worked with.  That is terrific that you are going for a homebirth this time!  You won't be disappointed!

Let me know and I will see what I can do to help you out :)

Althea Hrdlichka,

Loving wife to one, blessed mother to four, caring Doula to more (Montrice & student Midwife)

Tender Gifts Doula

Mother's Life Tea

(928) 925-0885

www.tendergiftsdoula.com

A lot of it depends on what state you are in and what their laws are concerning midwife licensing. Where are you located?
Thanks for all the replies. I live in Wichita, KS. I've googled to try and find some listings and have found a couple names.  I think I may contact a couple doulas to see who they would recommend. Just going with names I find on the internet makes me nervous. What questions did you ask before you chose your midwife?
Ask your local doulas and independent childbirth educators.

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service