Hello everyone. I could use some advice.
I'm 19 weeks pregnant (which came as a shock to my husband and I -- we'd been through years of infertility and were planning to adopt) and thus far have been seeing my gynecologist for my prenatal care. He's a wonderful doctor and so far has been supportive of my choice to have a VBAC, but as the weeks have gone by and I've been thinking what my hospital experience was like when I had my son (pitocin because I wasn't dilating fast enough, which led to a c-section, my arms strapped down and not seeing my son until he was all cleaned off and bundled up, then dealing with nurses who were totally unsupportive of breastfeeding), I've decided to skip the hospital altogether.
I've hired a homebirth midwife and am super-excited about birthing at home, but the hard part is that I have to tell my doctor. I would like for him to be my backup OB if I should need to be transferred (ugh!), and I will need to keep seeing him for gynecological care after I deliver (because I've had issues with abnormal cervical cells) so I want to make the break without damaging our doctor-patient relationship too much. Any advice on how to go about this would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance.