What Was (or is) Your Reason For Birthing at Home? Survey Reveals...

Hi home birth moms and moms-to-be!

For those of you who have read Putting Together a Home Birth Advocacy Group, you know I am putting together an informative, 'home birth advocacy' blog called BringBirthHome.

I'm doing a lot, (and I mean a LOT) of research about home birth. It's going to be a long, challenging and awesome process. I'm really enjoying it.

Of all the studies done, I came across this particular chart which shows the reasons why women are choosing to birth at home.

The next chart reveals one of many reasons so many women are heading home to birth (under theme 'intervention free'):

So. If you've had a successful home birth already, tell us your reasons for deciding that was the path for you.

And for all you moms-to-be, I'd love to hear your answer to that question too! Why are you interested in home birth?

I'll get in on the discussion along with ya'll.

~Kaitlin

Views: 1

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I guess I'll be the first to start in on this discussion by telling you my personal reason for choosing to birth at home.

My primary reason, before I became aware of the rising rate of interventions, was simply the idea in my head of what my birth would look like if it were located in a hospital. To look at the chart above, I guess my answer would fit into the theme 'dislike hospitals, doctors' or 'comfortable environment.' Those two fit together very well for me, going hand in hand like one breath.

When I came to the decision I didn't want to give birth in a hospital, with the cold (in every sense of the word) environment, I pondered going to a birth center. Come to find out, the nearest birth center was an hour and a half drive away. Scratch that idea.

In total, it took me about 2 minutes to fully accept that I was going to choose home birth.

Once I made up my mind, that was it. Look out! :)

I always, from that moment of deciding, certain that my home birth would go well. It was just a gut feeling I had.

However, there were two instances when I became slightly unsure about the progress of my labor - once when Ella became 'cock-eyed' and I had to assume a terribly uncomfortable position for 45 minutes along with a mix homeopathic remedies every 15 minutes.

The next moment was at 7 o'clock Wednesday morning that Ella was born. I had been laboring since Monday night...and was only dilated to 5 cm. Whew. That just about knocked the wind right out of my sails. If you read more about this specific experience on my blog here at MBB called, It Feels Good to Feel: The Pain and Pleasure of Natural Childbirth (she was born at 9:30 that morning).

Me relaxing in my big 'ole tub :)

So, there's a little bit of my background and more! I hope to see your comments and stories alike!

~Kaitlin

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service