There is very little you are not guaranteed the right to have. Any and every hospital in the usa has a patient bill of rights, you are the boss. The boss of your body, your baby, your birth-IF you want to.
That is the kicker!
I encourage you to study your rights, your choices-over 100 of them will be made for you if that is ok. If it is not, pick up your patient rights from the hospital before birthing there. Read the paragraph about "you have the right to accept, refuse or deny any and all policies and procedures AND be respected for your choice".
Very few actually want the choices but if you do, the information is on the net, learn a few things to redirect staff nicely but clearly that you know who is birthing, even if they have forgotten-when pressed, staff WILL admit you have the right to make all decisions regarding your body, baby and birth.

Views: 3

Replies to This Discussion

Kathryn I completely agree with you. The best thing that my husband and I did before I had John Paul was write out a birth plan that met our expectations and we went over that with my OBGYN. She signed off on the birth plan and even put my name and patient ID on it and we were "as good as gold". No one questioned any of our wishes at all that we had written which made it nice. Only thing that might not have been good for me is that I requested no IV during labor and so they had put the IV link in my hand before I went into stage 2 of my labor but it ended up coming out. This ended up proving to not be so great as I was very dehydrated after I had the baby and really needed to have an IV. They had to send someone to find a vein because my veins were so flat!!! Oh what you learn AFTER you have a baby! Anyhow, we'll be better prepared next time I hope.

If anyone needs any ideas on birth plans, don't hesitate to let me know and I can post one here.
Thank YOU Rene:)! As a doula I ask couples who do not take an IV to consider responsibility for hydrating themselves thoroughly during their birthing time. When Moms say "but they say in case of emergency?" I ask them to do the research-check out World Health Org. standards and choose for themselves. Not one person at a hospital can stop a Mom from hydrating herself:)
This is a choice sheet I use with everyone I serve-we go thru line by line for education and research for the Family and then they let me know how to mark mine so that I may support and remind them of their choices during birthing-all say it is an eye opener, especially when the research shows they will be healthier knowing and making up their own mind. Everything must be flexible in case there are changes in the moment or a family changes its' mind.:)

I live in the county with the dubious distinction of having the highest Infant moratlity rate in the nation-the need is dire for this information, choices and support.

NAME:
PHONE:

CHOICES FOR MY BIRTH
The following is a list of options available during Your Birthing Time and postpartum period should everything proceed normally. All of these decisions will be made for you if you do not care to make them yourself.
Circle the most desirable and discuss with your Primary. Consider having this put in your chart before your next appointment-to become record, it can not be altered after that moment and all of your wishes will be a matter of record.
Feel free to add any items. This is designed for use as a COMMUNICATION TOOL between YOU and YOUR Primary and to encourage dialog. Patient Rights: all are your choice if well.

Do you know the *SPEAK UP* Campaign Y / N

Please leave blank those you do not care to make or have no opinion on.

GUESS DATE---

WE FULLY UNDERSTAND AND MAY EXERCISE OUR PATIENT RIGHTS / RESPONSIBILITIES Y / N

WE EXPECT FULLY INFORMED CHOICES for CONSENT or REFUSAL Y / N HYPNOBABIES Y / N

MY CHOSEN BIRTH SITE:
· Hospital Birthing Room
· Birthing Center / Homebirth
MY PRIMARY:
· Obstetrician
· Midwife / Nurse Midwife
· Glucose Testing Choices
MANAGEMENT OF MY BIRTH:
° Active / Expectant
° Scheduled
° VBAC- 1 / 2 / 3
DAD AND OR DOULA PRESENT:
· For Everything
· In Postpartum
MY EARLY BIRTHING
· Early Birthing Time at Home
· Early to Hospital-
· Go home if I Arrived Too Early
PREP FOR HOSPITAL BIRTH
· My Clothes / Hospital Gown
· Saline Well / No IV / Have IV
· Strep B Positive? Yes ___ No___
· Medicate / Observe Baby

1ST STAGE of MY BIRTHING

MONITORING OF MY BABY:

· External / Internal / Handheld
· Continuous / Intermittent

IN BIRTHING I AM PREPARED TO USE:
· Music
· My Birthing Ball
· Hypnosis
· Ice packs / Use Rice Socks
· Walk
· Eat / Drink
· Limit Vaginal Exams
· Be Respected if I Make Noise
· Use of Shower, Tub, Whirlpool
· Use a Birthing Stool / Chair

I’ll WANT ACCESS TO:
· Light Foods-160-200 cal/hr
· Labor aide / Water / Juice
· Ice Chips / Popsicles / other
· Lights / Bright / Dimmed

MY MEMBRANES
· Release Naturally
· Rupture Artificially

MY BIRTH TO PROCEED:
· Naturally
· Induction / Augmentation
· Nipple Stimulation to Augment / pump

MED PLAN
· YES / NO
MED PREFERENCE-STAFF:
· Ask / Don’t Ask
4 RELIEFS AND RELAXATION:
1. Narcotics
2. Epidural
3. Hypnobabies/ other
4. Chiropractics
5. Acupuncture
· Acupressure
· Aromatherapy
· Massage
· Position Changes
· Guided Imagery
· TENS Unit
· Ball
· Dilation of scar tissue

2ndSTAGEOFMY BIRTHING

Birthing Options I may Utilize:
° Presence of otherchildren
· Videotape Birth / after
· Photos of Birth / after
· Leave bed intact
· Use of squat bar
· Use of my peri / olive oil
· WAIT for urge to push
· Coach-Directed Pushing
· Instinctive Pushing
(Please do not “count”)
· Remind Me to see birth
· I Want to touch head before birth
· Use of a Mirror
· Water Birth

BIRTHING POSITIONS
· Semi-Sitting
· Reclining on Side
· Supported Squat
· Hands and Knees
· Use of Foot Supports
· Use of Stirrups

MY PERINEAL CARE:
· Massage / Warm compress
· Massage / Tear OK
· Episiotomy

UMBILICAL ATTENTION
· Clamp After My Umbilical Pulse Ceases
· Cut by______________

3rd STAGE OF MY BIRTHING
· Active
· Expectant- no cord traction
· Empty Bladder & extend nursing
· We want to see
FOLLOWING MY BIRTH
· We Want Immediate Extended Skin-to-Skin Contact
· Immediate Pumping if Separated From My Baby by Dad / Doula
· Basic Suctioning / Warming of My Baby By Me: Thermal Regulation
· We want to dry our Baby
· Uninterrupted Nursing
· Juice / Food as Soon as Possible
· Herbal or plain Sitz Bath
· Warmed Blankets / Compresses
· Eye Treatment ****
· Immediate / Delayed / None
· Vitamin K**** Oral / Shot
· Immediate / Delay / None
· Weight : Immediate / Delay
· Measurements: Immediate / Delay
· Hep B Vaccine Y / N

MY BIRTH RECOVERY
Location of My Baby:
· Room With Us Only
· Brought In as Necessary

FEEDING OF MY BABY:
· Nursing Only
· Desire Lactation Support
· Formula Only
· Combination

MY CHILDS’ EXAMINATION:
· Pediatrician _______________
· Special Orders from Pediatrician

NURSERY PROCEEDURES
· Pacifier Y / N
· Sugar Water Y / N
· No Circumcision / Circumcision
· Bath / No bath / Bathe in Room

CUSTOMER PREPAREDNESS: Scale of 1 to 10

PATIENT ADVOCATE IN FACILITY?:

Before leaving the hospital-Will you fill out CARE & FEEDBACK FORMS Y / N

CORD BLOOD y /N RH FACTOR Y /N
management style, one of the first choices is very important-active means you would prefer standard operating procedures from the hospital and your caregivers.
Expectant means you fully expect to birth well, use your choices and you prefer staff to operate more like lifeguards in case you should need them:)
There are many sources of knowledge and empowerment, to some it is important, to others-not so much. Either way it is The Family's birth, the Family's memory, the Family's future.
Attachments:

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service