Anybody know statics about stillbirths and gestational diabetes?

UPDATE: I ended up having a c section on July 22. It wasn't at all what I wanted but after weeks of becoming more and more swollen and more and more miserable, and then my blood pressure getting high, coupled with the fact that my baby measured over 10 lbs at my last ultrasound and my OB was worried about her shoulders getting stuck, I reluctantly agreed. I spent most of that afternoon in tears. I wanted a completely natural, drug free birth with as few interventions as possible and I ended up having the most medical delivery possible. I eventually got over it and now I have a beautiful, healthy 15 day old baby girl named Mattie Gwendolyn. She is absolutely perfect. My recovery has been somewhat of a pain. It hasn't been that bad really, but I'm the type of person who HATES depending on other people and not being able to be on the go constantly like I'm used to. I've had to really slow down and ask for help these last 2 weeks. Fortunately my grandma stayed with us for a few days that first week. I don't know how I would have gotten through it without her! Anyway, Mattie & I are both doing well and adjusting to life. She is nursing like a pro and sleeps really well too (most of the time). She is such a joy and I am truly blessed to be her mommy!

I have had an ongoing battle with my OB since I was diagnosed with GD. First her concerns were that my baby was going to be enormous and she wanted to induce me at 39 weeks because of the fear of shoulder dystocia. I am not comfortable with being induced as long as the baby is doing ok and I am fine just because she MIGHT be big and COULD get stuck. I have NSTs twice a week and ultrasounds once a week so I am being heavily monitored. At 36 weeks my baby girl was measuring 6 lbs 6 oz-not so big after all, in fact, pretty average from what I've heard and we all know ultrasounds are not always accurate for predicting birth weight.

At my appointment yesterday when I told her I did not want to be induced, her response was "well the longer a pregnancy goes on with a mom who has GD, the greater the risk of stillbirth. But it's up to you. But once a baby dies, there's no turning back. A dead baby is a dead baby." How's that for a scare tactic???? I have been looking all over for actual statical data but so far have come up empty handed.

Like any parent, I would do ANYTHING to make sure my baby is healthy. But I don't want to be induced just because of a liability or convenience issue for my dr. I have talked to other moms about their induction stories. I am just so overwhelmed and confused right now. I'm just PRAYING I go into labor all on my own within the next 2 weeks. Then induction wouldn't even be an issue. So far though I haven't even had any Braxton Hicks contractions. My OB will check me at my appointment on Monday. I'm hoping to be at least a little dilated.

I could really use some expert advice and/or opinions. As much as I have LOVED every single second of being pregnant, I really can't wait until it's over just so I never have to deal with my OB again (and of course because I can't wait to meet my baby girl).

Views: 149

Replies to This Discussion

I had GD with my last 2 pgs and I also went 8 and 16 days late with them. They are now 3 and 1 and doing great! If your ultrasounds and NSTs show that you and your baby are doing well, then I'd keep refusing to be induced. It is your right to refuse treatment- technically called informed refusal (my GD babies were also under 9 pounds a piece) If you could, I'd also maybe look into switching drs, as those kind of comments are uncalled for, and are bully tactics. I hope all goes well for you and your baby girl!!
I wonder if you could consult with a homebirth midwife she might be able to point you in the right direction also please check out the discussion on my page called 9 and above about big babies born naturally. Smile! You are doing beautifully!
I really can't find anything in my books (I have a small collection of pregnancy and childbirth books) that would support your OB's statement. If your GD is under control, and like Sara said, if the NST's and ultrasounds are good, then I really don't see why they are so concerned. I agree that she's using a scare tactic, and it's uncalled for. How far along are you now? You have the right to refuse induction, but it sounds like it would be a battle. I would say to really look within yourself and how you feel about you and your baby right now. Deep down, do you feel that everything is alright? Try to look past the mental blocks of fear and really look deep down. Trust your intuition, and go with what you feel is best.

I don't know if this is helpful to you, but here are some suggestions you can use when talking with your OB:

Key Questions About Your Care
by Penny Simkin, PT, CD (DONA)

Answers to the following questions will help you participate in your care responsibly and help you know what to expect.

When A Test is Suggested:

1. What is the reason for it? What problem are we looking for?
2. What will it tell us? How accurate or reliable are the results?
3. If the test detects a problem, what will happen next?
4. If the test does not detect a problem, what will happen next?

When A Treatment of Intervention is Suggested:

1. What is the problem? Why is it a problem? How serious is it? How urgent is it that we begin treatment?
2. Describe the treatment. How is it done? How likely is it to detect or solve the problem?
3. If it does not succeed, what are the next steps?
4. Are there risks or side-effects to the treatment?
5. Are there any alternatives (including waiting or doing nothing?)
6. Ask questions 2, 3, and 4 about any alternatives.

In an emergency it may be impossible to fully explore these questions. Your caregiver should tell you how serious and urgent a situation is.
Thank you all so much for your replies. I am 37 weeks 4 days. Deep down I feel that my baby girl & I are perfectly fine. I have NSTs twice a week, ultrasounds once a week and see my OB once a week. Everything has been perfectly fine. Baby is growing, fluid is good, my bp & urine samples are good. I'm thinking the ONLY reason she's talking inducing is for liability reasons to save her own butt should something go wrong. I would love to change providers but this late in the game I have NO Idea who or where to go. I only went with her because she's also my gyn. I should have gone with my gut. I wasn't that thrilled with her as a gyn and I am quite unhappy with her as my OB.

In addition to telling me my baby could be still born because there is an increased risk with GD when she commented about the fact that her shoulders could get stuck on the way out and I told her my doula mentioned different positions to help get the shoulders unstuck, her response was "yea, you pull your knees up to your ears while the nurse pushes on your pelvic bone and I pray to god I can get my hands in there and pull her out." Sounds pleasant, doesn't it? That is not at all what my doula was talking about btw. She mentioned the Gaskin maneuver where mom gets on her hands & knees. I know most OBs aren't thrilled with that position because it's not necessarily what's most convenient for THEM.

Oh and yet another scare tactic-when I asked her about clear liquids during labor because she's already told me I can't eat or drink, she said they don't recommend it because if I had to be put under for a c section, I could aspirate, get pneumonia, end up in ICU and die. Nice, eh? I sooooooooo need a new doctor!
Yes, Bobbi, looking into a new doctor may be best and what you deserve! My suggestion is to research safer methods to assist the GD that also promote stress reduction. Another suggestion is to maintain a light exercise regime...brisk walking for about 20 minutes daily or your best to assist stabilizing the GD. You are encouraged to seek the support, guidance and care of a qualified healthcare professional.

All the best,
Nicole
Holistic Maternity Practitioner
www.WholeCreations.com
Personally, I would find a new OB right now. I wouldn't continue with her especially since she's already pushing an induction and using scare tactics. I personally would be afraid of going into labor with this OB and end up with her pushing an unnecessary c-section because of your GD.

Try to talk to a home birth midwife. KUP on how things go... I wish you the best!

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors











© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service