I'm 36 weeks today and I had a dr appt yesterday. My midwife checked my cervix and said I was already dilated 1/2 cm. My due date is Oct 30th. I've heard 1st time mothers sometimes have trouble dilating on their own.

Do you think since I'm already dilated I'll have a baby before the 30th?? Did you dilate early?? Or know anyone that did??

Tags: 36, dilation, pregnancy, weeks

Views: 248

Replies to This Discussion

With my first, I was 2cm dilated and lost my mucus plug a month before he was born (he went one week past EDD.) I figured he was coming early and made those last few weeks a little hard on myself. With this one I've been 3cm dilated since 36 weeks. As of yesterday (39 weeks) I am still 3cm, 70% effaced and my cervix is soft. Doc says we're waiting on those good strong contractions to start. I guess what I want to tell you is not to go getting in a hurry. Be prepared, but don't make yourself crazy wondering if 'today is the day?' Baby will come when baby is ready. Best wishes!
With my 1st, I was 1 cm dilated for 2 weeks. But then I didn't have any internal exams before that, so I could have been 1 cm for who knows how long! I thought mine would be early too, and the last few weeks were torture!
I have always began dilating by 36 weeks and my children were born anywhere from 39 to 42 weeks. With my oldest I stayed at 1cm until about 2 day before he was born when I had dilated to 3 to 4 cm. He was born at 40 weeks 3 days and all natural. The rest I was induced for various reasons but stayed about 1 to 2 cm until the induction. From my understanding it is natural to dilate before the due date as your body prepares for birth.
With my first baby I was at 4cm 2 weeks before going into labor (38.5wks). With second I was at 6+cm 2 days before going into labor @ 38.5 wks (4cm @ 34 weeks which made my MW very nervous, ha!). And with my third baby I was past 8 cm at the beginning of labor so I assume I was at least 7 cm before labor started (born somehwere between 39-40 wks).

So from my experience, dialation is not a very good indicator of when you'll go into labor or how long your labor will be. So try not to overanalyze everything, it will just stress you out and add anxiety to these last weeks of your pregnancy. Just enjoy the ride and get plenty of sleep, you will miss it once your baby arrives ;)
With all of my kids I have been at least 3 cm before my labor started. With my first I was dilated to 3 for a month before he came (on his due date) - my dr kept saying I'd have him before my next appointment, so by the time he came I felt like I was a month over due.

Dilation is a good sign, it means you body is getting ready and that is that much less work you have to do when the time comes, but I wouldn't count on a baby before the 30th. It could definitely happen, I wouldn't focus too much on the idea.
I just had my 36 week appt today and was 1.5 cm dilated and 75% effaced. I have a friend who was 3 cm/90% for three weeks prior to giving birth at 37 weeks. So I guess it does/can happen but there's no way to know how fast you'll progress ... though by now you may have had the baby!
I do! It's a girl! She was born 10/22 at 2:20pm. I was dilated to a 2 when they induced me. And my water had already broken and was slowly leaking when I got there that morning. From the time they started the pitocin to the time I delivered it was only 5 hours! And I only had to push for 15-20 mins. Everything went really fast and smooth. I did tear pretty bad but (5-6 stitches) but I'm resting at home!

6lbs 10oz
18 3/4 inches long
Lots of hair!
Congratulations, Amy!
Congratulations Amy!
With my first at 36 weeks I was 3 cm and 70% effaced. And I had him at 38 weeks. With my second at 36 weeks I was 2 cm and 50% effaced and had her 8 days early.
1cm with our first (she was born at 41w1d), 2-3cm with our second (born at 40w2d). Next week I find out where I am at this time at 37w! whee!!

RSS

FOLLOW US ON

Follow My Best Birth on Twitter or join us on Facebook.

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by MyBestBirth Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service